using FB boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using FB boards

I am building a 42 inch pompeii. The sales dept at FB told me to purchase 3 FB boards for this sized oven. I cannot figure out how to orient them to make the oven fit. Anyone care to send me a sketch?
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: using FB boards

Put two side by side to make it 36 x 48. Put the third one down rotated 90 degrees. You may have to do some trimming to get the pieces you need to allow all the dome bricks to sit on the board. My board was a different size then the FB.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Mfiore.

Exactly as Les says. I startedmy oven at the front of the boards so I would have a nice clearn edge.

I think you'll be happy that you got the boards - I know I was.

Dick

Thte boards is easy to cut - be sure to wear a mask.

Comment

OK, now I'm still feeling a little dumb. Still can't make it work. A 42 inch oven with 4.5 inch walls is 51 inches across. I need to cut a three inch piece off the third to cover this. No matter how I arrange that third piece, it doesn't seem to make up for the difference. I think I need a fourth board.

Dick,
        I re-looked at your thread. Your oven wasn't 42 inches, was it?
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Hi Mike,

If you do need the fourth board, email me, and we will send it to you without a freight charge. I will also take a closer look at our "recommended FB board" web page, and make sure we are recommending the right number.

Sorry about the hassle.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Mike

Duh, you're right mine was a 36... sorry about that. For some reason I thought i had to trim off more than I did...

Dick

Comment

Or... you might use something else of equal thickness under the walls and use the board you have for just under the floor - where you need it.

dusty

Comment

Here's how to make it work: arrange your three boards into a "T". you are going to nip off the corners of the upper tee to fill in the places where your oven overhangs. Measure in diagonally 5 3/8, and 9 3/8 from each upper corner, and draw and cut 45 degree lines at those points. The four offcuts will fill in the corners where your circle overhangs. PDF of drawing enclosed:
                Attached Files
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I spoke with the folks at FB again, they think 4 boards is more appropriate for a 42 inch oven. I ordered one before seeing dmun's sketch.

dmun, thanks for the sketch. Your drawing sure beats me cutting pieces of graph paper! That looks like it would work, with quite a bit of cutting. Still, would save $70! (although I'm not confident I would have cut mine so precisely. Probably still would have splurged for the 4th board)

Perhaps James should send a sketch like that out with the boards he sells. thanks again, dmun. Hopefully it will help future builders.
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                  X