12"x12" Fire Brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12"x12" Fire Brick

I can get a hold of 12"x12" fire brick that is 2" thick. But the brick is high duty. Would this work for the floor of the oven? Being thinner than a standard brick whould mean less mass to heat. Right? Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: 12"x12" Fire Brick

Those big high duty slabs are called refractory tile, and they are available from H-W and other refractory dealers. I looked at them, but they were
    WAY more expensive than firebrick, and I couldn't get the nice herringbone pattern that I wanted.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I have never used one of these ovens and don't know if is it is better to have a cooking surface with fewer joints. Majority seem to use a herringbone brick pattern which seems to work. And I aggree looks good. I was wondering --after using the oven over time are the joints between the brick on the floor and dome still visible.

Tom

Comment

I think that after time, what bothers you today, becomes a small issue tomorrow. And after a lot more time - you can blame it all on the imperfections of the material. In regard to joints, I think less would be better. If you have the $$$ to spend - go for it.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

We sell12"x12"x2" refractory tiles @ $15 each over here,42% al2o3. Very popular with the WFO guys.

Comment

Working...
          X