1311 Refractory motar formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1311 Refractory motar formula

I am using is 1 part Lime, 1 Part Portland, 1 part fireclay and 3 parts sand.

Is it normal for this not to dry fast. I put up a few courses two days ago and the mortal is still not dry.

any suggestions.

Re: 1311 Refractory motar formula

It's the right mix - how wet are you mixing it. I live in an area that has low humidity, by the next day it was pretty much done. I see you live in a humid area so it may take a little while longer to "dry". What exactly is the concern? If you can keep stacking brick - I don't see a problem.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Sounds like you may have used too much water, cooler fall temperatures will also retard set times alittle. I laid up some regular brick and mortar last Saturday and it was hard on Monday.

Comment

i just wanted to make sure that it will cure properly. Also for the arch i am using regular motar cause the 1311 was just not working i had to do the arch 3 times. Is using regular mortar for the arch bad?

Comment

If it is the doorway arch as part of the oven dome it is really not a good idea to use a mortar with no fireclay as those bricks will get hot...if it is the outer archway you could do it in regular and by regular I mean type N which is equal parts portland cement and lime to about 6 parts sand...those brick will still get hot so it would still be recommended to use the same fireclay mix...important to keep in mind that the fireclay in the refractory mortar really does not harden until it is fired really hot...
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
          X