Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concerns about installing an oven on a covered patio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerns about installing an oven on a covered patio.

I am thinking about building an oven on our covered patio and wonder if smoke will be an issue. The patio is enclosed on two sides by our house and open on the other two sides. The roof is about 10 feet high. If I build the oven on the outside corner [open corner with no walls, will there be enough ventilation or will smoke be an issue?

Thanks

Re: Concerns about installing an oven on a covered patio.

I think that you have to have your oven vent well outside, or through your patio roof. Building code says that the top of your chimney has to be 2 feet above anything within 10 feet. And yes, any unvented oven under a roof will fill the enclosure, and the house next to it, with smoke.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

So far, so good...
      A little smoke on first couple of minutes if using wet wood or heavy wood pile.
      Not smoke problems more than those.

Luis

Comment

Luis has it exactly right: The flue two feet above the roof. Don't worry about the little amount of smoke out the door on startup.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I think if you could at all put a chimney through the roof you should. Nothing would be worse than going to all that trouble and not enjoying your oven because its too smokey

Comment

Yeah, read our thread about not using a chimney in a patio situation!

Comment

You will probably need a second outer flue, either for the whole length of the flue, or at least for the section where it goes through the roof. If you've got a timber floor you may need extra support beams to take the weight.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
              X