Possible hearth slab issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible hearth slab issues

I poured my hearth slab today and ended up with a real rough texture. I used Sakrete brand baged concrete and once I was done, the surface texture felt like sandpaper. My previous concrete jobs (very small) left me with a creamy smooth surface after it was finished, but I could not get the same results with this slab. I had bleed water on the surface like I expected but when this water was reabsored into the concrete, I could not achieve a smooth texture. It's as if the sand in the mix is all at the top. I'm not worried about the texture but am concerned with the strength. Has anyone experienced this? I am thinking about using a patching compound to smooth it out. Any thoughts?
    My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Re: Possible hearth slab issues

It shouldn't be a problem. It may be a little "over floated" which brought the small particles to the surface. I'm not the one to talk: I've never floated a smooth surface on a slab of any size.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Steve,

I wouldn't worry about it. You don't need a creamy smooth top. Most, if not all of the surface will be covered up (depending on your finish).

To assure your slab cures as strong as possible, make sure you keep it moist and covered with plastic. Give it a week like that then start building!

Your cantilever looks great. Keep us up to date with your progress!
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

SteveP

That is the same product I have used, and mixed per factory instructions, and cured for a few days, the strength of my projects was fine (it worked..).

There are different sizes of sand that can be used in the concrete mix that will not generally effect strength. The volume of 'fine's' in the sand in a concrete mix can effect the finish.

JED

Comment

SteveP
          I am not familiar with your premixed cement products over there, we also have them here but I often have my doubts as to the proportions of the ingredients used and often the quantity of portland for that quantity seems too little in my mind.
          I like to get my own sand, gravel (metal) and portland, mix the portland with water in the mixer, add the gravel and then finally the sand.
          I always get maximum strength concrete using the measured proportion as recommended on the bags of cement.
          As the portland is put in the water, it is liquid and thoroughly coats the gravel which is the bulking agent in concrete thoroughly and then the sand is added which fills in the gaps. You might need to add a little more water to attain the optimum 'slump' (viscosity) for pouring.
          The surface being a little rougher, will only improve the bond of your vermicrete layer later.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

My slabs were not so pretty, either. To hide my issues I used a broom finish as the final pass.

I have mixed a lot of the premix concrete stuff so far. First for the slab, hearth, and side foundations for the kitchen . Then the seating walls and columns. Wiley gave me some advise to add some portland to the mix and it would flow better into the columns. I added 2 to 3 shovel fulls to each batch (2 ea 80 lb bags) - I could really tell a difference in how creamy it was - especially when finishing off the exposed concrete at the top of the forms.

I believe I will continue this practice where cosmetics matter. Sounds like a little too much portland is not a terribly bad thing on the size of pours that we do to make a pizza oven stand.

I found this decription interesting when I read it a while back:

Concrete Basics | Portland Cement Association (PCA)

Christo
            My oven progress -
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
            sigpic

Comment

The concrete for my foundataion was from a ready mix company and I did notice that the sand in the ready mix was finer than the sand in the bagged concrete and was easier to work. I did cover the hearth slab with a blanket and wet it down then covered it with a tarp to retain the moisture. I am planning on keeping it in this state for another week and a half.

Comment

I don't think you'll have any strength issues at all (the rebar job looks very nice). I like the curved overhang on the hearth!! It's going to look really nice.

Christo
                My oven progress -
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                sigpic

Comment

You are putting insulation down on top of it anyway, doesn't matter what it looks like really. You ARE putting insulation down next right?

Drake
                  My Oven Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I will be putting down some insulation. I am planning on using 2" board but haven't decided on what to use. I checked into SuperIsol boards but Armil hasn't gotten back with me yet. I'd like to use the FB board but the shipping is more than double the cost of the board last time I checked. I was really concerned with the strength of the slab since it has to bear a lot of weight, but everyone is reassuring me that it should be fine so I won't worry any longer about it.

Comment

Steve, make sure you CALL Forno Bravo instead of trying to place your order on line. Odd size/heavy items automatically quote extremely high shipping in the online store. James explained there is a glitch in the system and if you call, you will usually be quoted a much more reasonable shipping rate.

RT

Comment

I called FB about the insulation boards and they did confirm that the the shipping rates on-line were not correct, but they were sold out of the boards. They referred me to another company but that company told me that they did not sell anything that I could use to replace the FB board. I did however find an insulating board on line that I hope is compatible.

$43.97 -- 2-SHEETS/Case 3" CERAMIC BOARDS, Density 20LB/FT3 or 320KG/M3 at McGills Warehouse

They had the same product as in the above link but 2" thickness and comes in three 2"x2ftx3ft sheets per case. Has anyone used this board or provide some light as to whether or not this may work?

Comment

Hey Steve,

This is a case of some confusion on our part. I sounds like our staff started talking with you about FB Blanket, and missed the shift to FB Board. Sorry about that. FB Board is in stock and FB Blanket is back in stock next week.

Also, we have updated the FB Store and it is giving accurate shipping costs on the heavier items, such as FB Board, FB Blanket and Refmix. It had to do with per box weight limits with FedEx Home Delivery (which isn't important), but it is working correctly now.

Again, sorry about the mis-communication. Let me know if we can do anything to help at this point.

Keep it going!
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                          X