Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27.6% AL2O3 fire brick

Hey Folks,
    I am new to the forums here. Have been reading for a while and am now gathering materials to build my oven. The Fire Brick I have located here has a 63.5% SiO2 content and a 27.6% Al2O3 content. Are these the ones I need??? Quoted cost is $1.25 ea.

Thanx

George
    Bedford, Va.

Re: 27.6% AL2O3 fire brick

yep ...

Comment

Greetings jengineer.
      Guess I will go ahead and pick up a few hundred.

What manner of engineer are you??? I'm a Chief Engineer for a TV station.

George

Comment

Mechanical Licensed with the state of California but really a Performance Engineer - Gas Turbines - the type you find on commercial aircraft and a few military transport types. Jumped the ship last year from private industry and now I am a regulator.

Have you read the online and downloadable plans yet? here is an exceprt from the on-line instructions....

Low duty firebrick. This is the brick that we recommend for both the cooking floor and dome of the Pompeii oven. Low duty firebricks are comprised of roughly 30% alumina and 50% silica, heat up quickly, withstand the 900F heat your oven will reach, and are designed for the rapid heat-up and cool down (thermal cycling) that your oven will experience. Firebrick will also reach the heat required for pizza more quickly than clay brick, as they are more efficient at conducting heat.

Further, because firebrick is designed to withstand thermal cycling, your oven will last longer, though for most home ovens this is not an important issue, and your oven will probably outlast you whichever brick you choose.

There is also a medium duty firebrick designed for higher heat. We recommend the low duty firebrick, but medium duty is acceptable.

When choosing your firebrick, look for a brick with straight edges for your cooking floor. It is important that the bricks in the floor fit snuggly against each other, and a curved edge will result in a gap between the bricks and in your cooking floor.

Comment

Yup, I did indeed read the info you spoke of. I also printed it out for easy reference. The SiO2 level was noticeable higher on the brick I found and wasn't sure how important it was.

I guess you are talking about Auxiliary Power Units (APU's) I have started a few of them in my lifetime. I worked on C-5, C-141 and C-130 aircraft back in the early 70's while in the Air Force. Guess I'm getting a little off topic here.....

Really looking forward to getting started on my oven...Of course it's snowing at this time..

Later

George

Comment

Working...
          X