Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insul Cast Delta Crete

Howdy,
    Has anyone heard of or used "Insul Cast Delta Crete" ?? It is an insulating refractory castable that may also be troweled in place. As part of the description it says: Ideal for insulating solid masonry in bread and pizza ovens". It also states to apply a minimum of 2-3 inches thick over top of bread oven dome. Does this material sound like a useful insulator instead of a blanket wrap and vermiculite??? Or maybe in addition to?? It is made by the same folks who make Heat Stop 50.

George Stein

Re: Insul Cast Delta Crete

As a general rule the denser the material is then the poorer an insulator it is. I'll bet the stuff is a lot heavier than vermiculite or blanket, therefore you'll probably need a thicker layer.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

If it's priced like heat-stop, you may be driven back to vermiculite. Not saying anything against heat-stop, I've used it and like it, but boy is it expensive.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

All of the premixed refractory products are dear. We'd be better off making our ovens from mud. I was talking to an aboriginal guy the other day who told me that people up north tunnel a hole into the base of a large ants nest, many of which are as tall as a person and quite numerous. They then simply light a fire inside, throw in whatever they want to cook and seal up the hole with something.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X