Using Split Face CMU's for the base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Split Face CMU's for the base

I am looking at using Split Faced Concrete Masonry Units to build my base. These are cinder block style blocks that have a simulated stone fase and come in several colors with contrasting mortars.

However I was planning on going the dry stack route then filling the cores with regular mortar. My question is, how much bleed do you get of the wet concrete between the courses? It appears the concrete mix to pour in the cells is a bit dryer than say the mix to do the foundation or the hearth. What I don't want is the concrete leeching out between the courses and spoiling the finished face of he CMU's.

I assume I could stand by with a hose and brush to wash off the face.

thanks,

gavin

Re: Using Split Face CMU's for the base

Gavin
    I don't think you would have a problem with concrete leaching...I would recommend that you use regular concrete or..."core fill" that is sometimes found at brickyards(basically concrete mix)...you could mix it a bit on the drier side but you would have to use a bit more elbow grease or a concrete vibrator to really get a good fill
    All the best!
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Re: Using Split Face CMU's for the base

Hi Gavin,

I used a split face, dry stack, filled most every cell with concrete - technique for my oven. There was very little bleed through on the block, and most of what there is will hose off (if you are standing by with the hose at the correct time shortly after your pour) or with elbow grease and acid at the end of the project when you are giving the oven the final clean.

I ended up with more to clean from installing the hearth and from the spillage from the stucco finish on the dome than from filling the cells on the block.

In the photo gallery on this site, look up my name and you can pull all of the photos from my build on to a page (or two or three). You can see how the split face worked in my situation.

JED

Comment

Working...
      X