help to choose size of an oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help to choose size of an oven

Undecided on a 32 or 42 dome oven mainly to cook pizza and also would like to downsize the base heart. If anyone has any suggestions? I have been reading on the low and high volume opening, which would be the best for the pizza oven.
    Last edited by josephl; 02-05-2009, 06:21 PM.

Re: help to choose size of an oven

Joseph,

I would go with the 42. It will require a little more fuel to get to temp, but the additional cost to build is very little. You never know what the future brings - you don't want to be kicking yourself in the butt latter on when you're fighting for a little more room.

JMO,

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les that is one cool oven. thanks for the pictures Brucesky

Comment

I'd consider going for the half-way mark... 38 or so. You don't have to build either the biggest and smallest oven sizes. But whatever the size and regardless of wheather you decide on a high or low dome, they all cook fantastic pizzas.

The dome opening on the other hand is fixed at 63% of the total dome hight, make sure you get that right!
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Not a bad idea frances, it's just about a meter in size/39 inches which is what I use and it's worked pretty well overall.

Within reason. I don't think you can build too big but you can certainly build too small.
          sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I am building the igloo type oven and would like to know the minimum size concrete base I can build for it to save space in the yard. I am also thinking about building a heart base out of metal studs and a concrete wonder board to hold the slab and finish it with stucco. If I do it this way the local code does not require permits. If I use concrete block I have to file for permint. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Unless you're planning to use a prefab/casted refractory oven, I'd recommend you get the permit.

The concrete required just for the pour on the 3.5 inch deep hearth slab will be very very heavy. You'll still have to go through all the gyrations of framing around the sides and underneath your wonderboard for this pour. If you're going to then add 200ish nine-pound bricks, insulation, and finishing materials on top of that, you're asking a lot from those four steel legs. I'm sure it can be done, but you will not likely save yourself any work or headaches by trying to bypass the permitting process.

That's my two cents, which is exactly the value of my onpinion.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Hi;

I am not trying to bypass permits just trying to save heavy work by using the cinder block and mortar. I was going to frame the box 12 foot on center with the studs and support wall in the middle too. It should be strong enough, because when we frame the walls and floors of buildings there is a lot of weight there too. Looking for some input on this. Also, I going with the 42 inch oven, on the plans they talk about the low vault and the high vault with different sizes, which one would be the best for pizza?

Comment

The standard interior framing studs are really flimsy. Their rigidity depends upon the covering. Ovens are heavy and brittle, any shifting or vibration and you are going to have problems.

Metal bases can work fine, but they should be welded up from heavy gage angle iron. Wonder board really has no strength at all: a concrete-free hearth support would need to be heavy gage metal plate. This all gets expensive, particularly if you don't do your own welding, hence the traditional block-and-slab system.

High dome ovens are easier to build, and stronger. Many professional pizza ovens are low dome, but they are less self supporting, and may need buttressing on the sides. You get slightly better balance between top and bottom heat with the low dome oven, but you can always lift your pizza to the dome with your turning peel to get extra browing if need be.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I agree with the others about the base- the oven's really heavy and not happy when it shifts.

My base is a corner install, which you can make a bit smaller since your landing is on the corner. I built a 36, and my base is 64 inches square, I believe. With the insulation (FB blanket and 4 inches of vermicrete) I have almost nothing left of the base on the sides- maybe 1/2 inch. I wouldn't go smaller.
                    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

39.3" (1 meter) describes the Artigiano100, which is a really popular oven. It might be the Gloldilocks scenario; not too big and not too small. :-)

I think the best way to minimize the hearth size is to wrap the oven in 4" of FB Blanket -- with no additional vermiculite required. That minimizes the overall width and depth.

I always think that getting maximum oven space for whatever your commitment is to the overall hearth and enclosure is a really good idea.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I agree with James. A meter-ish wide oven would probably suit your purposes. I suggest you really download the plans for the pompeii oven and study them. The plans work and are something that you can take to your local offices to apply for a permit. You will also be able to determine the size of the base that you need, based on the size of the oven you decide on.

Once you've read the plans a couple of times, ask some more questions. Only you can decide what you want. I want a Ferarri. What do you want?
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

Because of the mathematics of area and volume a mere 20% increase in diameter creates a volume that is double. Double the volume and you also double the fuel consumption. I'm a believer of small is better, less weight, less materials, cheaper and faster to build, less space required and you tend to use it far more often. My oven is only 540mm in diameter yet we cook anything from a turkey to roasts, breads and pizzas. It's all a matter of management.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Good input David S. Just over half-a-meter is pretty small. I'm glad it works for your purposes. As you say, it's a matter of management.
                            GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                              Because of the mathematics of area and volume a mere 20% increase in diameter creates a volume that is double. Double the volume and you also double the fuel consumption. I'm a believer of small is better, less weight, less materials, cheaper and faster to build, less space required and you tend to use it far more often. My oven is only 540mm in diameter yet we cook anything from a turkey to roasts, breads and pizzas. It's all a matter of management.
                              I agree. My WFO is 42" and it's huge..... and takes forever to heat up.

If I had a do over.. 36" for me.
                              My thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                              My costs:
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                              My pics:
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...
                              X