Getting Started...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started...

any designs out there for the round model? How about the smallest that one could get away with?

The plans are here:

http://fornobravo.com/pompeii_oven/pompeii_oven.html

As a rule, 36" is a good minumum; 31" in a pinch. Anything smaller than that, and you should try to get crafty, and make a 31" oven work.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

cool, 31 to 36" could work in my backyard. On an oven this size, and considering I plan on going with the Gabled version using steel framing, how much of a distance would you reccoment from the outside of the dome (including the mortar layer) and the inside of the framing structure?
      I plan on filling the cavity with vermiculite (sp?).

Comment

Good plan.
        If possible, you should leave 5" between the outside of the dome and the wall. That would fit 1" woven ceramic insulation (insulfrax) and 4" loose vermiculite.

Don't put a metal stud directly across from the dome where it is the closest to the edge, and you have more space.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Then I think I can do a 63 x 73 foundation, 56 x 63 block stand and do a 36" cooking surface. I may need to reduce the dome diameter slightly, but I figure I can figure it out once I have the insulating hearth built.

one more question on the foundation:
          I plan on pouring a patio beforehand and the oven will be part of it but will come afterwards. Would you pour the foundation for the oven at the same time you pour the foundation for the patio? Meaning all as one (given that the depth of each will be different. Or would you pour one and then pour the other around it. Note I live in San Diego and I do not have to worry about frost in the winter.

Comment

Earthquake maybe, frost no.

It makes sense to me to pour everything at once. Anyone disagree with that?
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

i built my oven on top of an existing patio (which i figure is between 3 and 5 inches thick and unreinforced (no wire or rebar)). i've had no cracking problems near the oven (there was a pre-existing crack about 12 feet away). so (in my "no warranties" opinion) i think you can safely pour both with about the same thickness, at the same time.

however, the one thing you will want to do is to have the people setting the forms, do so in such a manner that your patio will be level where you want the oven (otherwise you'll have to painfully measure and cut concrete block like i did). the rest of the patio will slope for drainage. its probably best to achieve "levelness" by bringing UP the base of the patio under the oven (relative to the rest of the patio). in this manner you'll get some extra thickness under the oven, get the base level and also prevent water from flowing into your wood storage area.
              my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
              www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

Yes, I realized that I would have to deal with the leveling issue. I may separate the two with treated 2x6. I'll have to think about it. Good news is that it sounds like I don't need to go the full 10".

Comment

Working...
                X