Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Pizza Oven

Hi All,
    I have an opportunity to buy an old pizzeria oven for $ 50.00 My thought is using the stone from the oven as my oven floor. I am unfamiliar as to what its actually made of. Does anyone know if this would be a good base for the oven, and if it would take the heat from having a wood fire burning directly on it ? Im pretty sure it would heat up well as they heat it with a gas burner from the bottom. I would also place this over the top of the firebrick base. All thoughts, comment or suggestions are appreciated and welcomed...
    Thanks Mark
    TOGNJ

Re: Old Pizza Oven

That's interesting, I don't know the answer, but I know there's a value to the scrap stainless steel, which might reduce your cost still further. The folks over at PMQ might know more about what the specific floor material is.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks D. I have posted over there and will post any answers they come up with.
      Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 03-27-2009, 05:10 AM.

Comment

as of now, this is the relevant part of the only response i received from the PMQ website,

I've taken a broken stone from one of my ovens home to do kinda the same thing. I use mine in a gas grill to bake bread at home. I cut it with an angle grinder to fit my grill, it works really well. The theory behind what you want to do is sound, but without knowing the specifics it's hard to say definitively

will keep you posted, i am gonna try and call or look up BLOGGET, (i think thats right) they make pizza ovens and see if they are willing to share any information
        thanks again the PMQ website has some interisting info
        Mark

Comment

Blodgett claims on their deck oven brochure to have an "Ultra Rokite deck supported by an angle iron frame", whatever that is. It may be a refractory ceramic slab with their proprietary formula and name. A test cut with your diamond blade angle grinder should disclose if it looks like firebrick inside.

A google search for "ultra rokite" only returns refrences to Blodgett ovens.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
          X