Rutland Refractory Cement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rutland Refractory Cement

I recently bought 4-1 gallon containers of Rutland (premix) Refractory cement. The salesman told me it would be fine for use in a brick oven as i was planning on using it in the dome. After reading the container carefully it readily states, NOT FOR USE OUTDOORS.... I spoke back to the salesman and he assured me it would be fine for an outdoor oven. Although he would not accept it back for a refund. My questions

1. Has anyone used this before for an outdoor oven ?

2. Should i use it as a base under my vermicrete ? It will be sealed in..

3. does anyone thik it will be fine to use ?

Thanks for your help, my top slab will be ready for vermicrete this weekend weather permitting. So anxiously awaiting your answers.
    Mark
    TOGNJ

Re: Rutland Refractory Cement

Your oven has to be kept absolutely dry, therefore it's not exactly "outdoor" use.

That said, there has been negative feedback about the premix "wet" refractory mortar in tubs. It may not be suitable for larger mortar joints such as you get when you angle bricks to make a dome shape. That stuff is more for furnace liner repairs.

If it were me, I'd stamp my little foot. They sold me the wrong thing. It says so right on the tub. (I'll bet there is a joint thickness limitation listed there too).

If you are stuck with it, it will work. Frances made her oven with just sand and fireclay, which is absolutely water soluble, and it works fine.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I've just been using some premixed refractory cement sold wet in a tub and have not had good results, just as dmun suggests. Thin joints were perfect and very strong. But above a certain thickness, the stuff simply would not set. Even after leaving it 3 weeks. I was using it on an arch, and you could press in the outside of the thick mortar joints with your thumb - only the outer 1/8" was set.

I'm sure it was a different brand, so you may be fine. If I were you, I'd definitely do a few test joints to start with. I was not a happy bunny to end up with a arch where some joints were set rock solid and others were not set at all. If I had half a dome like that, well, I hate to think ;-)

Good luck.

Dave.

Comment

This is definitely the wrong product. I've even met with the company that actually makes the stuff, and they were really clear about this. It's got a great high temperature binder, but it comes apart when it gets wet.

They definitely should give you a refund so you can get the right product. Refmix, Heat Stop (not the water soluable kind) or make-your-own-mortar-at-home.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

"But above a certain thickness, the stuff simply would not set."

It will say on the label what the maximum thickness should be, usually 1/4 inch. Use the stuff "neat" on the thinner part of the joint. On the wider portion of the joint, extend the mortar with mortar sand. If 1/2 inch mix 1:1 with sand. If 3/4 inch mix 2 sand to 1 refractory mortar, and so on. In effect the mortar is bridging from brick to sand particles to brick.

Comment

Ah, thanks Neil, good info.

dave.

Comment

Working...
            X