Newbie bit of help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie bit of help needed

Hi Everyone i am going to build my first pizza oven, am a little way off at the moment but i am looking at the materials that i will need.

i have seen some firebricks on ebay, they measure 330mm x 330mm x 25mm so obviously square, they look good but would they do the job? they are ?13 each.

Many thanks guys

Graham

Re: Newbie bit of help needed

So lets see: thirteen inches square by one inch thick. That would be a refractory tile, which are more expensive than firebrick here in the US, but nineteen dollars US seems way out of line. I know firebrick are more expensive in the UK than here, but try pricing out the standard size ones which would be about 100 x 225 x 50 mm, it should be more economical, as well as have the proper thickness for the thermal mass you need.

Here's a thread on sourcing firebricks in the UK, I'm sure you can find others with a search:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/f...y-uk-3467.html
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Graham, If the item is this: item no 120404061948, then I don't think this is appropriate for a wfo, looking at the seller's other similar items, it looks like they are made from vermiculite, and therefore be insulating firebricks rather than ordinary firebricks. The picture of the item also shows the material being cut with a normal wood saw, normal firebricks are heavy and need a diamond wheel for cutting.

Coincidentally, I replied to Dorset yesterday re sourcing firebricks, see http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/dorset-6501.html

Cheers
      TonyB

Visit my Blog at www.batty.me.uk

Comment

Another refractory to try is YRPL
        YORKSHIRE REFRACTORY PRODUCTS LTD:: intro

worked out at just under a ?1 a brick...plus delivery. I got the calcium silicate board & refractory cement from them also.

Im just starting my first course of bricks so good luck!!

Hope this helps

Jon
        Last edited by scoot1on1; 04-10-2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X