• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High duty fire bricks

I think Varnon are made by AP Green?

Comment

I built my oven with a combination of med and hi-duty bricks .. all salvaged and some vintage from steamship boilers.. I did come across some ''chief'' #1 arch bricks which I used on row 6 , they are the last bricks to lose their soot as they have more mass the further they go into the dome , and I mortared them in . After parging with mortar I put a layer of extreme heavy duty aluminum foil [shiny side in ] over the whole oven , before the ceramic fiber layer. I also have a floor of 3x5x7in. hi dutys and they do hold their heat!!
      One aspect that hasn't been mentioned so far is that hi-dutys weigh more! so they have to take longer to heat up , and longer to cool .
      I am tossing a handful of snow in these days to add moisture for the bread.. it vapourizes fast!!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
        I think Varnon are made by AP Green?
        I may be wrong [what? Again?] but I think AP green is no longer with us.
        tim

Comment

There was a big consolidation of the refractory industry a few years back, I think partly because of asbestos liabilities. I think AP green was absorbed into the Harbison-Walker refractory conglomerate. Now HW is about the only game in town in the US.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Oh! Asbestos! ... great! I bought and am still using on my kiln a stash of AP Green's EPG50 insulating cement .. grey , fluffy and they claimed no asbestos... they claimed.. sigh!! .. Anybody heard a discouraging word on this?
            tim

Comment

If they "claimed" no asbestos , your widow will be able to sue them.lol

Comment

Hate to admit it, but I spent almost 15 years with AP Green. As the USA stopped manufacturing this and making that, demand dropped. And fast. The remainders of APG and Harbison-Walker and Kaiser basically ended up consolidating into one. And that one is much smaller now than any one of the originals were. And I personally have concerns about the health aspects too - I crawled in and out of thousands of furnaces over those years.

Back to the original train of thoughts in this thread though:

For our WFO's we all will see just a little difference in the heat retention (and rate of heat-up) between low heat duty, medium heat duty and super duty bricks.

If the information is available, compare the density (weight per unit volume). For our purposes we can assume a greater density will store more heat. On the other hand that means a little more fuel being burned to supply those calories. Then, to get even more rententive, we could start considering the thermal conductivity - a VERY rough generality is the denser material will conduct heat a little bit faster which could imply a slightly higher heat loss.
                Concentrate on following the great plans provided here, and INSULATE - bottom, sides and top - any place a firebrick is located: insulate. If in doubt and can afford it, add more insulation.
                Last edited by altamont; 12-29-2009, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Looking for a good source for high duty firebrick in WA. Any leads would help me get my oven built!

Comment

High Duty, when the alumina content is high it makes the bricks more resistant to very high temperatures and erosion/hot corrosion. The reason is that the other constituent in them is silica. On the net you can find the alumino-silicate phase diagram, essentially at the high alumina end the brick's melting point is extremely high 1828C, whereas once the silica content is above 30% this drop down to a mere 1587C (and stays there unless fluxed lower by other contaminating oxides, e.g. calcia).

So that is the duty side of things clarified, a non-starter for cooking ovens, but what about when in direct contact with the fire, what is the max. temp?

Heat retention is a completely different matter, here we are talking about thermal mass and thermal conductivity. If you want the brick to store a lot of heat you want it to have a high thermal mass (and not lose it by conducting it away to cooler regions), in simple physics terms you want it to have a high specific heat capacity, i.e. the heat/energy required to raise a unit mass, Kg by 1 degree, now here is where densification comes in. If the product is quite dense it will have a higher thermal mass per unit volume than a less dense version. Now replacing alumina by silica or vice versa will [B]not[B] necessarily improve or reduce the thermal mass, it depends on their relative specific heat capacities (& how dense the brick is made when you consider this on a volumetric rather than a weight basis, as noted above). My guess is that their specific heat capacities are probably quite similar, so probably a non-issue?

From tables, an engineering brick has a specific heat capacity of about 1.0 kJ/KgK, whereas a firebrick has a specific heat capacity of about 1.05 kJ/KgK.

So unless you plan to melt steel the high duty firebrick could be a bit of an overkill, or is it?

I have updated another post on this type of topic with info on typical thermal conductivities of firebricks, engineering bricks and a couple of red /buff common bricks (not concrete common bricks). Not an issue if you choose the right brick.

I hope this is helpful and helps clears up the various issues involved (but I don't know the max duty temps.)

Comment

Working...
                    X