X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patio and Oven excavation

Hello All,

First post, frequent reader.

I'm moving to a new home soon (Tallahassee, Florida), and when I get there we're building a patio and eventually, a 36 inch oven. For the patio, I'm going to dig down 6-8 inches, fill with base material, tamp every 2 inches with a plate compactor, and cap with pavers that my wife picks. Can I set an oven on top of that, or do I need to make a hole for some concrete?

Is 6-8 inches of tamped rock, fill, and sand, capped by pavers solid enough to support the weight of a small oven? We live in Florida, so hard freezes are a rarity, and that depth is below our frost line. I've searched the forum and haven't found an answer.

Thanks,
    Stan

Re: Patio and Oven excavation

"Can I set an oven on top of that, or do I need to make a hole for some concrete?"

You are probably OK, but I would plan for some settlement. The pavers might then crack. I would pour a footing at least the width of the wall and fit the pavers against the footing/wall.

Comment

Do you mean a footing along the stand walls? If so, should I go the full depth, or should I place it on top of my compacted sand?

Thanks,
      Stan

Comment

On top of the compacted sand should do it. Make the footings about 4 inches thick and add a double course of 3/8 rebar.

Comment

Working...
        X