I think I caught the fever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I caught the fever...

I'm a big pizza guy, love it. Crank my electric oven up to 500+ degrees to make the kids pizza (3 yo twins and 4.5 yo).

Anyway, for the longest time I've wanted to make an oven. Now, with the help of looking through the endless threads on this site and others, I think it might be more attainable then first thought. Especially if I can get some bricks second hand.

My question perhaps questions,

I want to build a mobile kitchen. So I'm thinking that I could put it in the back of a truck or on a trailer. I'm also thinking about "renting out" my services to customers in the area so a mobile oven would be great.

I guess it would need to be light. I'm thinking that I would need to raise it off the bed of a truck so it doesn't hurt the metal or gas tank....So would a a trailer be better? Talk to a metal fabricator about building a base for it? Then have it sit on top? Build around it with bricks? Any other good lighter material? I want to keep this budget friendly.

Any and all ideas are appreciated...

J

Re: I think I caught the fever...

Hey Chef Jeff,

On this web site, use the search button, and type in 'trailer'.

There are pages of returns, most of them won't address your questions, but there are lots of people who have traveled this path, making a 'portable' retained heat masonry oven (by definition, heavy).

One of the returns from the search

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...ings-6069.html

is a good place to start

This link has a bunch of good information, although I don't think the oven is complete...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...oven-4507.html

and there are plenty more, so lots to read...

Good luck, and keep us posted with pictures on your progress!

JED

Comment

Thanks Jed,

Some times its easier to start a thread then to use the search function and I will use it more.

I did a quick search on Craigslist for firebricks, and I found what I believe to be the higher temp ones. He said they were going to be used for a kiln for a potter, but the potter got sick and could not use them. He is selling them for around a buck a piece. I could get the lot for $300. He said they sell for 6-8 bucks a piece and they are white , and light...I'll do a search and try and find some plans..

Thanks,

Comment

Those sound like they may be insulating firebrick, which aren't really suitable for an oven.
        -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

You can buy brand new low duty firebrick for not much more than a dollar, and you really don't want insulating firebrick.

Do read the threads about portable ovens before you finalize your plan, most successful ones use modular ovens: fewer components to vibrate apart.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

yeah, I was just trying to start this up using minimum dollars...

Comment

yeah, I was just trying to start this up using minimum dollars...
              I'm a great believer in thrift, but sometimes the least expensive solution isn't the cheapest solution: There's nothing thrifty about buying something you have to throw out because it failed.

Also, bear in mind that if you are doing catering for public events, there are a lot of health department hoops that you are going to have to jump through. It's better to plan ahead for this than deal with it after you've been cited...

Comment

That is why I've been trying to do research before I spend a dime. I will talk to the local health department. Still think it might be a good idea to spend less money just to get the venture up and running, then upgrade to a better oven later. Lots to think about.

Comment

I just got an email from the seller of the bricks and he's telling me that these are low temp light weight insulating fire bricks... he's just not sure so he's going to check...Does this make sense? Is this what I should be looking for?

Comment

he's telling me that these are low temp light weight insulating fire bricks. Does this make sense? Is this what I should be looking for?
                    No. Not the right brick, unless you're building a pottery kiln. Brick ovens work by absorbing and reflecting heat, they need thermal mass inside the insulating layer.

There has been some discussion of using insulating firebrick instead of the insulation under your floor, but I don't think it's been tried. I really wouldn't mess with it, there are much better insulations for this purpose.
                    Any and all ideas are appreciated...
                    Have you read the instructions?
                    Do you understand them?

Comment

Thanks for the advice....I do appreciate it. Still trying to figure things out...

Comment

Ok, after some review, I am thinking of getting either a assembled or modular oven. I'm now just trying to figure out if I should put it in a trailer or in the back of a flat bed truck. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                        X