Steel Legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Legs

Due to the layout of my patio using steel legs would be better looking than the CMU foundation.

I would evision using steel posts like you see in basements, set in concrete footings to 48 inches. I would lay them out like the 5 dots on a die, 4 corners and 1 middle.

Anybody have experience in this approach?

Re: Steel Legs

Would you use steel legs in place of the block stand, above ground, or are you talking about below-grade piers, or both?
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Comment

They would be cast into concrete footings 48" deep underground.

Comment

I used steel legs on my recently completed oven.
        My main concern was that I probally will be moving soon
        and wanted to take the oven to my new home. The design
        will allow the oven to be moved off its stand onto a flat bed
        truck to its new home.

I'm pretty sure most home buyers dont think of a prebuilt pizza oven
        as an asset.

The stand sits on top of a rebar reinforced concrete slab. So far no problems.

Another advantage is it allows for wood storage underneath the oven
        which is accessible from all sides.

http://www.michelevitarelli.com/zenp...96.JPG_650.jpg

good luck with your oven.

Comment

TBM, if you do a search for "sonotubes" on the forum, you'll find some people who used concrete pillars (with sonotubes) in the formation you described: 4 corners plus one in the middle, below the frost line. I don't recall anyone using steel alone below grade, so you might be breaking new ground (not a bad thing!). Is there a way to prevent corrosion of the steel, though?
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

DB, just to be clear the below grade portion of the steel legs would be encased in concrete. So presumably no corrosion.

TM

Comment

Sorry, my bad. So the hearth slab will rest on those 5 steel legs instead of having a foundation slab and block wall? Sorry to drag out a topic I know little about; I'm just trying to envision your plan. I don't see why it wouldn't work if you've got enough rebar in your hearth slab, but I defer to the experts.
              Picasa web album
              Oven-building thread

Comment

No worries.

You got the plan. 5 legs embedded in concrete footings. Hearth deck sits on top.

Plans may change. She Who is To Be Obeyed has indicated that she doen't prefer the look of an igloo on a slab, instead she prefers a full rectangular structure.

Still negotiating.

Comment

Here is a snapshot of my steel foundation. the top is flat which helps
                  distribute the weight of the hearth/oven along a larger broader area. I think
                  this is important to dstriubute the weight along a large area. I am a woodworker and think of it as a drawer bottom. The bottom of a drawer
                  alone is thin and weak, but when supported on four sides it can hold much more weight than it could on its own.

My hearth simply sits ontop of this steel stand and I intend to lift
                  it off with a forklift and move it to my next house.

The hearth is built according to the available plans. I also went ahead and
                  welded my rebar together to create a stronger lattice type structure.

Originally posted by TBM66 View Post
                  No worries.

You got the plan. 5 legs embedded in concrete footings. Hearth deck sits on top.

Plans may change. She Who is To Be Obeyed has indicated that she doen't prefer the look of an igloo on a slab, instead she prefers a full rectangular structure.

Still negotiating.
                  Last edited by michelevit; 05-29-2009, 11:31 AM. Reason: added pic

Comment

Perfect. That's awesome. May I ask the spec of the steel you used? And did you fabricate it yourself?

Comment

I think it was 4 inch square steel stock. It was used remnant material. MIG welded together. I am in San Jose, CA and would be more than happy to help out if you are
                      near by.

Comment

I have a similar problem. i live in a very wet area of England and have had to use a wooden base as opposed to concrete blocks or metal.
                        my base looks very similar to yours but is made of strong timber.
                        the problem i had was how to set it into its final position and not have the legs start to rot within a short time.
                        what i have done now is dig holes for each of the legs as normal but instead of dropping the base into the hole and then concreting around the legs i filled the holes with concrete and set the base on top of them instead of in them. i used a liquid rubber paint on the bottom of the legs to prevent the water from soaking into the wood when it pools on top of the concrete and it seems very satisfactory the result is exactly the same. with the added bonus that the base could be jacked up in the future and the bottom of the legs could be repaired or re waterproofed if needs be. i could also move the oven aswell.

Comment

Michelevit,

I appreciate the offer. Unfortunately I'm in Michigan. A little too far I'm afraid.

I'm starting to really lean towards a 4x6 construction that markc suggested. First the proportions of that material would look better than a 4 x 4 post. Also the cost of steel in that configuration turns out to be simply ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                          X