cement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cement question

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum, though I have spent many hours reading and learning. I must say that this is the most informative and interesting forum I have visited to date. I must also say I have not come across any conflict either which is a breath of fresh air.
    A little background to my project.
    Am building a 42" pompei style oven
    The base is being constructed as an amenities block, daybed room for the swimming pool.
    within this structure will be a dedicated room for the oven, so all that will be seen will be the openings for wood storage and the oven door.
    The stand for the oven is fabricated steel frame (complete and in position)
    Now for my question. I plan to mix the vermiculte and cement tomorrow but I am not sure on the grade of cement. I have white brickies cement on hand for the mix but everything I have read calls for portland cement. I have spoken to the bricklayer and he says portland is just a low quality cement. I was just wondering if price was the difference here or if there is something in portland cement that makes it more suitable for the job?
    I hope someone can help me out with this reasonably fast because tomorrow is only 14hrs away.

Cheers Ian

Re: cement question

Hi Ian

I wouldn't think it matters what kind of cement you use... so long as its pure cement and not any kind of mortar mix with added agregates - and not being familiar with Australian product names that's what comes to mind when you say "brikies cement".

Hope that helps and was in time . Enjoy your build... And how about some pictures?
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks Frances. As of this afternoon the vermicrete is in place.
      I used 5 parts vermiculite to 1 part white brickies cement. I mixed the ingredients in a large black plastic tub and all went smoothly.
      Will post pics once they are uploaded.
      thanks again
      Ian

Comment

Ian,
        although a bit late, but better late than never they say!
        The white brickie cement is possibly "Brighton lite" which is for pale cement/mortar rather than the traditional grey.
        Read the bad carefully and "blended cement" is almost the same but has a percentage of fly ash mixed into it. This fly ash id the coal dust from power stations and sets like cement and adds bulk without adversely affecting the cement/concrete/mortar strength.
        Cheers,

Rastys
        If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

[IMG]http://s311.photobucket.com/albums/kk479/888captain/
          oven/?albumview=slideshow[/IMG]
          Her is a slideshow of progress. I cannot get my host site to copy single photos. My daughter is coming over tonight so will sort that problem out then.
          Cheers
          Ian
          Last edited by boily; 06-11-2009, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Ian,

I think you used what I would call 'White Portland'. A bit more expensive than grey portland, but much the same in functionaltiy.

I used a 4:1 portland:vermiculite (I can't recall if I used lime) but if I did it was no more than 1/4 part. It was weird, as you know, but the surface eventually came up nice and smooth. I plan to use it for my outer coat insulation too.

You just reminded me to upload some pictures of that.

Oh, welcome to the forum, by the way ( peasant that I am)

Lars.
            This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
              If you click on this image you will see my photos so far on photobucket. I am not real sure what happened but it will do.
              Last edited by boily; 06-12-2009, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X