Hard vs Soft Fire Brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard vs Soft Fire Brick

I found a guy selling Hard Fire Brick because he wants to get Soft instead. I have no idea what the difference is or which I should have for my oven? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Re: Hard vs Soft Fire Brick

read the firebrick primer
    That should answer some questions.
    soft firebrick may be insulating firebrick.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Yeah, I've read through that before and thought I had a good understanding until this guy says he has Hard brick which the primer doesn't talk about. Another site does seem to say that Soft brick is Insulating brick so I might be ok with the hard.. just don't want to get something that starts falling apart the first time I fire it up.
      Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

At the worst, "hard" fire brick will be high duty firebrick, harder to work with, slower to cut, but should cook well and last forever. Try to find out where he bought it and what it is. "hard" doesn't mean anything.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

He won't tell me where he bought it.. which makes me wonder.. but the price is really cheap.. $.60 a brick compared to $2 which is the lowest I've been able to find it so far.
          Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Originally posted by blacknoir View Post
            He won't tell me where he bought it.. which makes me wonder.. but the price is really cheap..
            Sounds sketchy!!
            Toby

Comment

Soft firebricks are soft and light in weight. They have high porosity and excellent insulating properties.Use of soft fire brick insulation is mainly in industrial and hobby kilns heated up with either electric spiral elements or gas burners, furnaces, both for hot face lining or outer back-up heat insulation.

Hard firebricks are very dense, hard and durable but not great for insulating. They are used for their structural qualities. They can be often used as the main building component of large kilns, chimneys, fireboxes and burner ports?anywhere around direct flame.

Comment

Soft firebricks are soft and light in weight. They have high porosity and excellent insulating properties. Use of soft fire brick insulation is mainly in industrial and hobby kilns heated up with either electric spiral elements or gas burners, furnaces, both for hot face lining or outer back-up heat insulation.

Hard firebricks are very dense, hard and durable but not great for insulating. They are used for their structural qualities. They can be often used as the main building component of large kilns, chimneys, fireboxes and burner ports?anywhere around direct flame.

Comment

Working...
                X