Should I clad the walls and dome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I clad the walls and dome?

OK...things are moving fast now and I've made progress on my build. I've decided to pour the 4" reinforced slab first followed by 6" vermicrete in a 5:1 mixture. Surprised it was solid by the end of two days! As for the firebrick construction, I have acquired large slabs of med/high duty bricks (9x18x4, 9x12x4 and arch shaped standard size bricks for the dome. When I set up the walls tonight, it was extremely solid seeing I used large slab pieces. I plan on using refractory cement for the dome and not using anything for the walls seeing they fit so well. Plan to pour a 4" vermicrete layer around all the walls to support them before I start building the dome. In the end, about 5" on the sides and 6-7" on the top.

Seeing I'm using high duty bricks, do I need a cladding layer before the vermicrete? I understand using foil between the cladding layer and the dome but do you still use foil between the dome and the vermicrete if you decide not to clad? I don't need the extra mass cladding provides due to the higher heat absorption of the high duty bricks. I've also heard on this forum that the cladding also provides strength. Will a dome encased in vermicrete be strong enough? I appreciate all your help thus far! Here are some pics of progress up to now...

Re: Should I clad the walls and dome?

Here's a pic with the bricks in place.

Comment

is your door opening going to be wide enough ?

Comment

Where are our resident barrel vault experts? hopefully CJ will chime in, he knows WFOs as well as anyone and runs his artisan bakery with a a barrel vault.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
          is your door opening going to be wide enough ?
          It is going to be 16.5" wide. Is this too small? I made sure a roaster would fit through with no problem....

Comment

Abear,

Looks like you're building a barrel vault oven. If you main plan is too bake bread then you should be in great shape but if your main intention is to cook pizzas you may want to step back and consider a dome approach. There are a lot of good articles about barrel vault vs. dome designs.

Just trying to be helpful. The rest of your outdoor kitchen looks great!

Dick

Comment

I'm too far along to change designs at this point. I do plan on making pizzas as well as baking so it begs the question: How wide should the opening be for making pizza? Also, any idea if I should use foil between dome and vermicrete?

Comment

Also, anyone out there who can answer my question about using foil between the dome and vermicrete?
                I think the consensus it that foil is useless. It deteriorates in contact with the caustic portland. It will create a slip plane, but I don't think one is needed here. Any thought that the foil reflects radiant heat back into the dome has been thoroughly debunked.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I planned on leaving the foil out - thanks for confirming my hunch. Vermicrete seems to be more pliable than concrete in its final state. I'm checking over my brick count today to see if widening my opening is a possibility. I could probably stretch it to 18.5-19" but I need to see if I have enough. My plan is to pour the vermicrete around the walls without cladding tomorrow unless I hear something to sway me otherwise. Arches over the weekend!

Comment

Looks good Just make smaller Pizzas

Comment

Can you reach all places of the interior to do any repairs (should they become necessary) with that wide an opening? I would suggest that if not then you might wish to make it wider now. A necessary repair that cannot be reached would perhaps mean a major tear down and rebuild. If you can, then all is well.

Wiley

Comment

I'm starting to get confused I got the CD from Rado in Australia and have been following his measurements - the width of his ovens ranging from 16.5 - 17". I've been getting a lot of comments here stating this may be too small an opening (never even thought about repairs!). I could stretch it out to 19" still maintaining the 62-64% ratio, but I wonder if it would be too wide resulting in heat loss. I've also decided to add a cladding layer around my large firebricks for structural stability (not necessarily for mass). As such, the use of foil is warranted.

Comment

the picture is deceiving,,, it doesnt look that wide,, what are your internal measurements ?

Comment

The hearth bricks are 9 x 18 x 4 making my internal dimensions 36" x 36". Dome arch rises 8.25", opening arch rises 1.75". Width of opening planned at 16.5".

Comment

hey abear,,
                              that sounds good... i have a 42 inch round with a 20 inch door.. i think you are fine.. the picture looks like the whole thing is small to me,, maybe i just need to put on my glasses.. keep up the good work and happy cooking
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X