Pizza Peel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza Peel

I have made myself two hardwood peels for assembling and then directly placing pizza in oven. What would be a good finish for the wood that keeps timber from staining and yet allows the pizza to slip off?

Re: Pizza Peel

Wooden Peels should, in my opinion, not be coated with anything other than oil. Other 'coatings/sealants' will probably burn. To get Pizza to slip off, just a liberal coating of flour is all that is needed. I use a wooden handled aluminim peel, seems to work well and the aliminium is light and has no ill effects from the heat after 12 months use.

Cheers

Comment

I agree. The peel should be bare wood, just use flour or corn meal and the pizza will just slide off. As for stains, we will wash and leave out in the sun to dry when needed.
      Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Motion carried. Don't coat it.

Comment

Here too, nothing but dry peel, bare wood and rice flour; in a pinch plain old wheat flour works, but after using rice flour, well I prefer rice flour by a large margin..
          Wiley

Comment

Hmmm Rice flour; gonna have to try that. Why do you think it works better?
            Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Chef, I tried it because of a recommendation I heard /read here. And not surprising (because the info here on the forum is beyond compare) it worked very well. The grain is larger than wheat flour yet smaller than cornmeal. It is quite uniform of grain size and, as I am usually using a wet dough, regular flour tends to get damp and stick the dough to the peel. The rice seems less absorbant or perhaps because of the larger grain size it absorbs less. But I have yet to have a pizza stick to the peel since using it as my peel "lubricant".

Hope this helps,
              Wiley

Comment

Why do you think it works better?
                Corn meal is full of sugar: It's what sweetens your cola. The sugar in cornmeal promotes burning and bitterness at WFO temperatures. Rice flour can still burn, but not so readily.

Another hint: sand your bare peel smooth with fine sandpaper whenever you get persistent sticking.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                X