Finding Vermiculite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Vermiculite

Vermiculite comes in 4 cu ft bags. It's bulky and light weight. You might see it under the trade name "Therm O Rock". Don't buy the small bags -- that will end up being too expensive.

In California and other states, Home Depot sells vermiculite and perlite as soil conditioners. You can find it in the garden section.

If they don't carry it, check with your local wholesale nursery, and pool and commercial ag. supply companies. They should have it.

If you can't find it locally, contact Forno Bravo, and we can ship it to you.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Here in the UK vermiculite is readily available from most good builders merchants. We use the brand name ?Micafill? from Travis Perkins http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/ with good results. It might be best if you give your local branch a ring first as not all branches carry stock.

Alf
    http://www.fornobravo.co.uk/index.html

Comment

Finding Vermiculite

You can also find Vermiculite at some of the industry safety stores (Interstate Safety) as it is used a lot in the Hazardous Materials Mitigation industry. It is both an absorbent for hydrocarbons and an adsorbent for some materials with a specific gravity of +1. It is very reasonable at these supplies stores.

Comment

Johan,

Welcome aboard, and thanks for that. Great lead. How is the weather in Tahoe, and when does ski season start?
        James
        Last edited by james; 06-14-2007, 02:04 PM.
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Finding Vermiculite

I found the vermiculite for my oven at Uline, a company that provides packing materials. They sell large bags of the large material that I used.
          uline . com is their web site.
          Good luck.
          mitexas
          www.ozarkdreams.com/brickoven.htm (pictures, stories, recipes, construction records of building a wood fired brick oven)

Comment

I found some at my local landscape supply. Manufacturer is Therm-o-Rock from Chandler AZ. I'm sure they could point you to a distributor. I hope I got the ratio right I used 4:1 for a 3" pad x 5ft dia which just turned out to be the whole bag.

Comment

I bought a lot of vermiculite in the 4 cubic ft. bags in Denver at American Clay Works. It is very easy to get to-right off I-25. I used the vermiculite in my garden.

Comment

Hey Hot Shot,

Do have a lot of clay in your soil? How did it work trying to lighten up your garden soil?
                James
                Last edited by james; 06-14-2007, 02:05 PM.
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                  Hey Hot Shot,

Do have a lot of clay in your soil? How did it work trying to lighten up your garden soil?
                  James
                  James, All our soil is predominately shale and clay, I just forgot all of that and did the square foot Gardening by Mel Barthalamew, his 2nd book, where you make your own soil and garden on top of the ground in 4' X 4' by 8" high boxes. The boxes set on top of black weed barrier from Soil and Conservation. My soil that I made is 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 compos, that I made last fall. This is the most friable soil that I have ever had my hands in. It is fabulous. My garden is out doing every body elses in the neighborhood. And it could have a lot to do with my green house where I started my plants. It is a flowerhouse brand, that provides an abundance of circulation. If you are interested, I will tell you where I got my greenhouse. I am a first time gardener with purple ribbon results. Hot Shot

Comment

Try pool supply stores as well. Vermiculite is used under vinyl pool liners.

Richard

Comment

Hi all,
                      down under in Aus, I got my vermiculite from an international company called Thermal Ceramics:
                      www.thermalceramics.com
                      the Australian link is:
                      www.thermalceramics.com/asia/home.asp
                      They manufacture a whole host of refactory materials, including everything you need EXCEPT they no longer make the firebricks.
                      If you can't source your materials through Forno Bravo, then you might find it available through them.

Neill
                      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                      Neill’s kitchen underway
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Is perlite the same as vermiculite. I have access to perlite is it as good as vemiculite.....thanks Wayne
                        see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Comment

You are in good shape. Vermiculite and perlite are different, and come from different processes, but their insulating and fire resistance properties are very similar. Vermiculite is volcanic popcorn, where it is quarried and heated until it pops. I am not sure of the production process for perlite, but if you can easily find it, go for it.
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

For anyone looking for Vermiculte in Switzerland:

ISOLA Vermiculite AG

This company doesn't sell direct, but they are very helpful and will provide you with your closest retailer (forget do-it-yourself and garden centers, they've never heard of the stuff). It comes in a 100 liter bag and costs 20 CHF (aprox 16 USD) - which considering what I've been paying for some of the other material doesn't seem like very much at all.
                            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                            X