Laying the floor bricks on a dry mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laying the floor bricks on a dry mix

I'm thinking of laying my oven floor bricks on a thin layer of 50/50 dry mix, fireclay and sand, or even just 100% dry fireclay.
    I imagine it will set over time due to the inherent moisture in the oven build, and to be honest I don't see the reason for using a wet mix - doesn't it just make the job more messy and mean you only get 1-shot at leveling the bricks??
    My rustic oven;
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
    sigpic

Re: Laying the floor bricks on a dry mix

Yep, the dry leveling medium was the contribution of Alf, who was (is?) the FB UK rep, and it works just like you say. The sand in the fireclay mixture keeps it from cracking like a dry lake bed when it dries out. Wetting it when you're happy with it does set it up, as you are going to be walking on the floor while you build your oven.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

As far as moisture under the brick, I've had a firebrick on a tiled concrete floor in my house and underneath it is a thick layer of water. No doubt water would get into the fireclay under it. I'll be sure to add sand/fireclay 1:1 to set the floor.
      My Build Thread

Comment

I like this idea. In school that is how we were taught to lay paving bricks. I have only done one job like this, but it worked quite well.

Comment

Working...
        X