How about an earth/refractory oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about an earth/refractory oven?

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but would it make any sense to build an inexpensive earth oven, but stabilize the earth mix with refractory cement, and make it modular for mobility? I really want the mobility feature, but of course, want to pay next to nothing for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Re: How about an earth/refractory oven?

Earth ovens don't vitrify - they dry out and harden, but they don't become glass like fired ceramics. Moving such a thing, even a little, would cause it to crumble.

Also any talk of refractory concrete is incompatible with talk of saving money. Boy is that stuff expensive.

We all like to save money, and you'll find a lot of suggestions for that here, but you have some real problems with your idea as it stands.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: How about an earth/refractory oven?

Originally posted by dmun View Post
      Also any talk of refractory concrete is incompatible with talk of saving money. Boy is that stuff expensive.
      I got a quote from a local outfit here in Houston called Able of $27 for a 75 lb. bag of their lowest-duty refractory which works out to $0.36 a lb. (Refractory Castables, Refractory Plastics, Refractory Mortars) By way of comparison, my 9 lb. firebricks were $1.20 or $0.13 a lb.

On the otherhand, REFMIX is about $2.50 a lb. HeatStop 50 is just a little less shipped from the factory. I have spent over $250 just on 5 bags of REFMIX.

A Casa90 is 650 lbs according to the spec sheet. Let's say 150 lb. of that is the floor. The 500 lb dome could be cast for $180. I have NO IDEA whether "AbleCast" is an appropriate product. I have attached a datasheet. I would imagine that at the least, it is an upgrade option over "mud" or clay.

The only cheaper option might be firebrick, homebrew mortar, and a chisel or angle grinder. A HF tilesaw alone makes the brick option more expensive than this.

Respectfully,
      David
      Attached Files
      -David

Comment

Working...
      X