slab without angle iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slab without angle iron?

Still building my block foundation from 40 inches below grade but started to think about the slab of hearth concrete. I did a corner installion and rather than have some custome angle iron fabricated to support block, I was wondering if I could just span the opening (36 inches) without. I would think the slab would be strong enough. I looks like others did this as well but wanted to get some opinions

TIA

Re: slab without angle iron?

Make sure you have enough rebar and you should not have any problem with this type of span. I would make sure that slab is at least 5 inches thick across the opening. In addition to your current re bar schedule, I would add two additional 3/8 or 1/2 " rebar spanning the opening.

Comment

Hi Neil, there is 2 ways to do the span without angle you can either form over opening with concrete or if you want block as in looks and something to tie into then use knockout blocks with 2 reo bars extending to at least 200mm past opening with with timber underneath to hold blockwork till your concrete is cured.
      Hope this helps

Steve

Comment

Here's what I did. No rebar, no angle iron. Just blocks and 2" paving slabs. 6" of vermiculite cement went on top and then the hearth. The oven is now completed and I don't have any problems.

Comment

I used 1 1/2" X 20 ga. Galv Deck which will hold up the concrete pour. You can find item at any steel construction supply.

You can see what it looks like on my build #3

Comment

Nice job Nev.

Simple but elegant solution.

Comment

Working...
            X