Stamford, CT 42" Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stamford, CT 42" Pompeii

I am going to break ground on my oven sometime this weekend; before I do, I have several questions to ask to help me determine my final plan.

-First how many of you mortared each cinder block vs. the pouring the cement in every other hole? If you could do it over, would you do it differntly, and how so?

-What is the best way to determine what size shim to use?

-If you could change one thing about your oven, what would it be?

Once the the oven is underway I hope to update this thread with pictures to track the progress of my low-dome Pompeii oven.

Re: Stamford, CT 42" Pompeii

I dug down 40 inches and built on a footing, I mortared each layer and filled some of the cores, takes a little longer but once I got the hang of it, it went fast

Comment

-First how many of you mortared each cinder block vs. the pouring the cement in every other hole? If you could do it over, would you do it differntly, and how so?
      I made a base partly of mortared cinder block, and partly of regular brick. Because my structure was going to be two stories tall, dry stacking was never an option. If I had to do it again, I would have sprung for brick throughout. Cinder block isn't THAT much cheaper than scrounged/on sale brick, and once you've laid it you're done: no stucco, tile, or other finishing after the fact.
      I'd have designed a stone counter work area, with a hand washing sink right next to the oven. Your hands get really grubby making pizza, and a sink is near indispensable.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

-What is the best way to determine what size shim to use?
        CAD. The attatched sketch shows the brick tilt for a 42 hemispherical oven to use a .467 shim
        Attached Files

Comment

I decided I am going to mortar each block in the foundation. I also decided the height of my dome is going to be 14.5 inches.

Comment

I dry stacked the blocks then filled the cores with concrete. Fast and easy - Even I could do it.

I would use FB Board under my oven. I wouldn't sweat over the price or the shipping cost, I would just order it and be done. You only get one shot at doing the subfloor insulation - do it RIGHT.
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I am starting my form tomorrow, so I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on that.

Comment

Less is more, is the usual "form" advice. Any sort of solid form prevents you from cleaning up your mortar on the inside bricks as you go, and once you dig out your form, it's too late to remove the now-solid mortar.

The main point is that no form is needed until the bricks start to curve inward, and they are self supporting even then once the chain is underway.

Do a forum search for "indispensable tool" for a good idea.

Comment

I finished my dome a week ago and put the chimney on the entry arch last night. I did not use a form at all on the dome. I kept expecting to need something to keep the bricks from sliding off, but as I gained experience with the mortar (Heatstop 50), I learned how wet to mix it to make it sticky enough and then just held the bricks in place until the mortar set enough for the brick not to slide. Even the last couple of courses didn't slide because I was using 1/3 and 1/4 bricks by then. That surprised me. But I would have liked the indispensable tool if for no other reason than to make the oven more round. As I looked at my chimney it leans just a bit (about a quarter inch over 3 feet). I'm convinced that nothing on my build is straight, square, level, plumb or round. Fortunately, almost everything I've done so far will be covered up (no doubt by something else that is not square, plumb nor level). I suspect the pizza won't mind. They're not likely to be round either.

Joe
                  Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

So I didn't get very far on my oven last fall before winter hit(dug a little, but never got the foundation poured). I am looking to get back at it and have revised my plan a bit. I am going with 45" oven, and am going for an authentic Neapolitan oven. Hopefully the height is going to be around 13.4". In terms of the mouth, I'm going for about 8.5" in height and about 15"-16" wide. What I would like to do is purchase the FB floor board since I have heard such good reviews . Hopefully I can get the foundation and stand done in the next week or two so I can get going on the dome.

Comment

For what height dome is the .467 shim used for? THanks, MT

Comment

Working...
                      X