Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Foundation - Scotland build - require advice please

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
    I heard a nasty rumor that Scots put corn on their pizzas ?

Can this be true ?
    There is a strange Scottish clan that eat Tuna and Sweetcorn pizza. Don't understand it myself. Haggis Pizza is a treat though!

Comment

maybe next year i will be the one handing out the advice after completing my first perfect oven!!!
      Iain,
      Im Sure you will be.... Welcome to the club, Your foundation plans sounds good,,, Use the rebar if you can get it... I've seen other builders on the forum use plastic under the gravel but i cant help you with that..(sorry)

Cheers
      Mark

Comment

Iain. I'm in Scotland too and looking to start a BBQ/Pizza Oven/Garden area at my place shortly... how did you find getting the building materials for the project. My local building supplier can do it but some of the requests I made raised a few eyebrows.
        Mike... Rothesay

Comment

I got most materials from MKM, some bricks from Ebay, rebar emmm...pinched from a council job....

Looking to contact Central Refactories for fire bricks and chamber materials in the next week or so, think they are based in Falkirk

Comment

hi this is a message for Iain, I too live in Galsgow and am thinking of buidling an outdoor clay oven. I have had great difficulty sourcing materials but think i am getting there, Can I ask how you have got on?

Comment

Hi Iain, thanks for getting back to me, can i ask when you say floor tiels as the base of the inside of your oven what kind of tiles do you mean? Are you using anything to stick them together? Heat res silicone? With regarsd to your bricks are you cutting them yourself if so is it easy? Do you have a brick cuter or are you using a chisel? Also, where did you get your rebar?

Cheers!

Comment

Hi Ian,

Can't give you any advice but maybe moral support. I'm about to start building my own pizza oven here in sunny Glasgow too. Just waiting to get a tree removed from the spot where I'm going to build the oven.

Incidently, you can get the hollow concrete blocks on ebay. ?74 for a pallet of them. Only seen this myself the other day, after I had already bought a pallet of dense concrete blocks! Also, I cant remember where i read it, but I'm pretty sure that you can use those aereated concrete blocks you see in b and q instead of the vermiculite concrete base. Going to start posting to look for advice about that once I get the foundation made.

Anyhoo, good luck with the base!

Cheers Ross (Clarkston)

Comment

Hey Ross, I live just down the road from you in Waterfoot, can I ask how yo are making your foundation?

Comment

Hi Rehka,

Waterfoot is a nice part of the country. Such a small world.

To be honest, I'm just going to follow what's on the plan, except extend the foundation a little to include space for a wee prep area and a bbq. Are you concerned about dampness?

Have you downloaded the pompei plans from this website?

Cheers Ross

Comment

Hi there, my journey to the world of wfo has been quite circuitous! I actually got the idea from a blog clayoven wordpress, but he did not put much emphasis on the foundation. It was whilst I was looking for materials that I came across this forum and I to say people on this forum take the whole process a lot more seriously with cement, rebar, vermiculite etc. I am a bit overwhelmed as I have never built anything. My husband and friends are going to help but we are all similar in terms of experience. However, I appreciate the need for a proper foundation given our climate and the weight and heat of the oven. I have been reading about the pompeii oven but can't find the link to down load the plans, could you tell me where on the forum they can be found please?

Comment

Here's the link to the plans. You can download them in pdf.

Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven

They're really detailed. I'm pretty much following them, except replacing some of the materials with cheaper alternatives. For instance, firebricks are really expensive, so i've managed to acquire some old pressed red bricks off of gumtree for free (which according to folk on this forum aren't great, but are better than not having a pizza oven). Although, I think you are right in being cautious with the foundations. If the pressed reds don't work out, it is easy enough to replace the dome, rather than trying to sort out a dodgy foundation.

I'm hoping to start the build in just over two weeks, so i'll post photos of the foundation then.

Cheers Ross

Comment

Working...
                        X