fireclay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fireclay

Can anyone tell me what would be better: 35 mesh fireclay or 50 mesh fireclay? I can get 100# of 50 mesh for $26 or 35 mesh for $22, from a pottery supply place - Brackers in Lawrence, Kansas.

I guess I'll go ahead with the homebrew mortar stuff for building the dome...

Thanks,

Cecelia

Re: fireclay

It's a rare question we've never been asked, but this is one. I simply don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say the finer stuff would be better, but again, brickyards just have bags labeled "fireclay". There's no body of experience on clay meshes here. Maybe you could explain your application to the pottery supply and ask them.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: fireclay

Well, I found the Alsey refractories co. online - they carry a product called Flue-set - non water soluble refractory mortar. Capital Concrete in Topeka carries Alsey products - that's the brand of fireclay I got - a 15# bucket for $30 !!!! -
      Probably, if they do carry it, it'll be way more expensive than making my own from the fireclay from the pottery supply place!

And what about lime - I hope I'll be able to go into lowes or home depot and have it right there!

Cecelia

Comment

Working...
      X