trailer mounted ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailer mounted ovens

I'm looking to build a trailer mounted oven. My biggest question/worry is whether a brick dome will be stable enough for moving over the road? How are most trailer ovens built? Pre cast forms or brick domes?

Re: trailer mounted ovens

I have the same question but it seems no-one knows

Comment

I have heard of brick ovens shaking to bits on the road. Sure I read it here somewhere on this forum. Try a search. I built my mobile oven with the dome cast in one piece and the floor in one piece, because I felt it had a better chance of survival from road vibration.. It has done a lot of travel and is about four years old. The floor has one large crack right down the middle but does not effect the performance. I also made the flue removable which turned out to be a good plan.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

jeffgreens,
        there are many answers to your query Jeff.
        I have considered building a brick oven on a trailer but building the trailer and the oven is the easy part.
        Getting bookings and approvals/permit/licenses etc and dealing with the authorities is more than I could cope with. I have too many other priorities to undertake than baking pizzas for the masses.
        I would build the oven with bricks rather than castable, for cost and heat retention (because let's face it, you will be making many more for such events than a castable even with a fire within could cope in such short baking times needed), even though you can easily add extra thermal mass. I would diamond saw the outer edges of the brick courses and wrap a strip of stainless steel banding to hold the bricks firmly in place and drill holes into the underlying rows and pin the rows together.
        Wrap it with 3-4" superwool blanket to reduce heavier vermiculite cement insulation and cover with a decorative metal dome.
        Put this on a tandem axled trailer equipped with rocker arm and shock absorber suspension which with a little common sense driving would take it anywhere without problems.
        Designing all the accessories, bench space, wood and other storage (not to mention refrigerated), will be the key in coming up with the right solution.

Cheer.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill, on Fri night I cooked over 30 nine inch pizzas, at a local watering hole, in a three hour period. At no time were we really busy. I cooked them one at a time, but can do two at a time if pressed. Each pizza took 90secs and I maintained a fire on the side throughout. At no stage did i stop to refire the oven. My oven dome is only 2" thick and as a result, being small, is still light enough to cart around on a single axle trailer with slipper springs.There are so many advantages to keeping the oven small I believe they outweigh any disadvantages. It's all about how you manage your fire.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
            My oven dome is only 2" thick
            My last oven was a 2" thick cast refractory and wouldnt keep hot, plus it had lots of insulation, whats your secret?
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Maybe you didn't pump enough heat into it or your floor was poorly insulated.
              Just thought maybe it's because mine is a small oven and the food would therefore be closer to the flame and the dome.
              Last edited by david s; 07-10-2011, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Back to the original question for a moment:
                "I'm looking to build a trailer mounted oven. My biggest question/worry is whether a brick dome will be stable enough for moving over the road? How are most trailer ovens built? Pre cast forms or brick domes?"

I know of one built with a steel dome (Dented Bouy) which is commercially used. It travels about an hour's drive each way twice a week and is holding up well. It is used both at a farmer's market in a small city and for farm fairs/events in a more rural environment. The roads it traverses vary alot.

One would think alot depends upon where the trailer mounted WFO is to be used. In a flat region one could probably get by with a less of a trailer than say someplace with poor roads and alot of curves and up and down. And that is also to say nothing of how many starts and stops one has to make, city use versus more rural.

One could probably get by with a brick WFO if conditions were right and a good suspension system incorporated in the trailer. IMHO I would go with a steel dome (which is literally bullet proof with respect to cracks and collapse), but I admit I'm biased.

Hope this helps,
                Wiley

Comment

I'm not trying to rock the boat, but it has been done...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...oor-12363.html
                  My oven (for now):
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Within that thread I posted about this one...
                    About the Oven :
                    My oven (for now):
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Working...
                    X