Demolition begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demolition begins!

My friend and I began demolishing my entire main deck a couple of weeks ago which was way overdue, due to wood decay and termites. The main support beams were practically hollow in certain spots, making the deck useless for the past few years. The sun room sitting on the deck will be demolished as well, as it's been sagging on one side.

We plan on rebuilding a much smaller, scaled down single-level deck, roughly 500 sq/ft, with a 36" popmeii off to the side, built up to deck level.

I am thinking of a tri-post hearth support, and depending on what part of the hillside these posts will anchor, they can end up being rather tall, I would suppose.

I will post photos again when the decking is completely cleared out and oven foundation location decided.

Meanwhile here are pics of our current demolition work:
    Last edited by fxpose; 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Re: Demolition begins!

Wow that is quite a project!
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Yes, it is quite a project especially when it's just myself and a friend doing all the work.

I know I should have done this before the demolition began but I pulled permits for the deck and sunroom demolition just this morning.

And here's the latest photo taken yesterday. I already have visions of an oven at a pre-visualized location.

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Is that the world's smallest pool, or the world's biggest hot-tub? Looks like an ambitious project, indeed.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
          Is that the world's smallest pool, or the world's biggest hot-tub?
          I always wondered that myself when we bought the house 20 years ago. In fact, I think we've been in that thing less than a half dozen times in 20 years.

I even listed it on Craigslist as a freebie last week......no takers yet........I wonder why...
          Otherwise, how do I get rid of this thing? I guess I can shop it into pieces using an angle grinder.
          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

will you have to put in new foundations/footings for the deck ?

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
              will you have to put in new foundations/footings for the deck ?
              We will be building a small terraced concrete patio, much smaller in size compared to the deck we had so we will lay new block wall foundation.
              Besides, most of the soil around the old concrete piers have eroded away so they're useless anyway. We may just excavate and use them as backfill, along with chopped pieces of the fiberglass pool.

I plan on locating and building up the oven foundation where it's most ideal and basically will be building the new patio around it.
              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Well, you have your work cut out for you!
                At least you will have plenty of wood for your oven!
                This could be a great project, excavate out after removing the pool (god only knows how that stayed there with all the white ant activity), put in some reinforced concrete piers with beam foundations (yes, you could easily use the cut up pool sides for formwork), brick up a bottom room or cellar, put in a couple of steel beams and slip on some steel sheeting for a reinforced concrete patio floor. You might even get access to storage under youer house!
                Build your oven over one of the corners in your patio, put up a pergola and what a function centre! Later put in an outdoor kitchen. Quite expensive all up but what an asset and how much would it add to your property value. It could be a project undertaken bit by bit over a couple or more years,

Cheers.

Neill
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Make sure any of the wood to be burned has not been treated with poison.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

flip the pool over and make it a garden shed !!

Comment

Or a large doggie condo!
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                      [/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks for all your inputs!

Neill.....I've followed your nice kitchen thread. That was quite a job in itself, erecting and moving the steel framework.

Thanks for that great idea!! We can set it on a block walled foundation down at the corner of the property. I will discuss this with my wife.

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Originally Posted by ThisOldGarageNJ
                          You could prob build it right into the hillside and cover most of it with dirt. Then you wouldnt have to cut it up and throw it out.....
                          Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X