Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my FB board...Finally my oven has begun!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my FB board...Finally my oven has begun!!

I finally got the infamous FB Board i've heard so much about And I laid out my herringbone pattern floor (minus a couple small peices i have to cut). Admittedly, i goofed a little when i drew the outline circle that i'm going to use to cut the brick for the floor (see picture)...i made it a 44 inch oven instead of a 42 inch oven. Thats not a big deal right? i could just measure out the bricks again, but i want to make steps forward instead of backwards, and i figure 2 extra inches wouldn't do any harm...the only reason i'm asking at all is because all the instructions i have read thus far recommend 42 inches, so i don't want this to have an adverse impact on and later measurements...i'm trying to take care on all the small detalis so my oven turns out proper...hopefully im not focusing on details that are TOO small haha!

So if my measurements turn out to be ok, my plan of attack is this: I'm going to cut the circular shape and the vent landing shape out of the bricks i have already laid down, then i'm going to use that shape to cut out the excess FB Board from under the floor. this gives me a perfect template to arrange the soldier course when i start the dome. when i get to it, I'm going to start the dome around the floor instead of on top of it because i heard it was better for some reason...oh, and i am planning on spacing the firebrick soldier course with thin strips of cardboard to allow for thermal expansion...and from there...well, i'm still doing the research on where to go from there! How does this plan sound? hopefully i'm not missing something.

The only part i'm a little skeptical of (other than my 44" vs 42" dilemma) is whether or not i should leave FB board under the soldier course of brick. I was trying to fit the FB board together so that i wouldn't have to cut it. It actually fits all the bricks i have laid for the floor so far, but i doubt that i will have enough leftover to put under the soldier course...can anyone tell me if this is an issue at all, or am i making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Re: Got my FB board...Finally my oven has begun!!

Originally posted by Matt916 View Post

The only part i'm a little skeptical of (other than my 44" vs 42" dilemma) is whether or not i should leave FB board under the soldier course of brick?
    Yes - you want that course insulated as well.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

So, do you think that 3 peices of FB board are enough to encompass the whole oven?

Comment

I bought 4 pieces 12 x 36 for a 42 inch oven. I had some scrap left over. You may want to cut your losses and make it 42 inch. I know for a fact that you will be kicking yourself in the butt for cutting corners - been there, done that.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Matt,

Do ditto Les, you need to insulate under any firebrick, including the soldiers. Without, you will have the fire brick sitting on the concrete slab, which will just suck away the heat. I think you'll need 4 boards.
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Hey Matt, you can also set your soldier course on top of the hearth bricks, which will allow you to go smaller internally and not have to add insulation board. My oven (and many others?) are built this way. You might also consider an angled-top soldier course if you are concerned about compensating for the additional height.

Doug

I cut the soldier bricks in half at an angle to yield two equal pieces, gets you off to a good start with the first course of dome half-bricks too.

Comment

you know, i was really considering makinga smaller oven by laying the soldier course on the cooking floor itself, but I am planning on cooking a lot of food in this oven, and i don't want to limit the space i have...it still looks really nice that way and it would solve my issue, but i already ordered the board last night any way lol...i do like how you cut your soldier course though.

last night right before it got too dark to see, i rearranged my cooking floor on the ground and made a 42" circle out of paper and used it as a stencil to re-measure out my oven. It came out nearly perfect, so problem solved there, Les you were right. 42" was what i was planning all along so it would be better to stick with the plan of attack.

The plans for the Pompeii oven that i downloaded said that the mouth of the oven should be 20 inches across and 12.5 inches high for a 42" oven. Is this still the recommended dimensions? I should have asked that question a lot sooner, but i was trying to find a definitive answer myself...but its better to be safe than sorry. every oven is so customized that its hard to search for a common measurement.

Also, how long (from front to back) should i make the landing area under the vent? I was thinking of going with 15 inches, but after mis-measuring the cooking floor and and a couple of other blunders on my part, i've started to second guess some of my measurments

Comment

Working...
              X