location of oven/fire safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• location of oven/fire safety

I am trying to figure out where to place my oven. It could be either a few feet away from my house, in a small open area under overhanging branches, on the edge of a wooded area, or next to my above ground pool, with a wood deck about 9' away. None of these locations seems very safe to me. Do I need to be concerned about hot ashes getting out and starting fires, or does the chimney keep them inside? Is there a rule of thumb for how far away the oven should be from houses, woods or other wooden structures?
    Here's mine:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...man-15992.html

Re: location of oven/fire safety

Jim-

There as been some discussion on the boards about this. It seems that it comes down to building codes. If you need a permit, they will likley have some kind of set back requiremenets. If not, then I wouldn't worry much about it. I have a spark arrestor on top of my oven and I have never seen a single hot spark make it out of there. My chimney is only about 4 feet away from the eves of the roof of my house. However, it would probably be smart to trim that tree back a bit so there isn't anything directly over the chimney.
    Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

National fire code requires a chimney to be at least 2' higher the highest point of a structure within 10'. So measure the height of anything within 10' of the center point of the chimney/flue and then go at least 2' higher. A spark arrestor is usually always required by local code or fire chiefs.....and a great idea, regardless of the regulations.I have a spark arrestor and have never had any ash or sparks escape out the top. I've never had any ash, coals, or sparks 'pop' form the oven entry either, although it could happen depending on the wood being burned.
      As for overhanging trees, call me lucky, I have a palm overhanging the left side of my oven and a laurel oak overhanging the back and right side. Both are within 5 or 6 ft of the top of my chimney cap. So far, never a scorched leaf on the oak, and never has a frond been scorched on the palm. Its a good idea to keep them trimmed back as much as possible.

RT

Comment

Jim,

I have got mine in an area that has trees above and don't anticipate any problems as RT above said keep them trimmed back and you should be fine. Look through the forum and you will see lots of ovens in "wooded" areas. Have fun with it

Peter
        Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Along the same line of oven location can wind direction be a factor? Living on a hillside property we always have a slight breeze coming in from the same direction, year round. Ideally, should the oven opening be facing away from an incoming breeze? Does it matter?
          I also want to avoid smoke heading into my next door neighbor every time the oven is fired.
          George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

fxpose,

Wind, smoke, your oven, and the neighbors can all be a problem... and most of the details can be managed just fine.

It is best if you do not have a wind blowing in your oven door while you are heating your oven, or cooking. However, if you do have wind, you can use a door to block most of the offending wind and still fire your oven and cook your food.

Smoke and neighbors can be an issue. I have one neighbor who has complained one time from the smoke. (Oops, sorry!) One strategy that has been discussed is to get the neighbor involved or invested in your project before you start. Pizza from a wood oven is a surprisingly effective bribe. They are likely then to be more tolerant of an occasional bit of smoke.

A hot fire with well cured wood produces less smoke. Do all you can to build hot fires, with well cured wood and there will be less smoke to talk about.

Hope these observations help.

JED

Comment

Thank you Jed for your helpful reply.
              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

I had the same question before beginning my oven project. Best thing was to get the local codes and go from there. I have my oven foundation four feet from combustables, a wood deck, which is code for me and have no problems at all with sparks. I do have a flagstone patio area in front and to the sides of the oven, though.

A loaf of bread, or a pizza goes a long way with the neighbors, in-laws, friends, coworker, etc...
                My Build Thread

Comment

Good news regarding the fire safety issue, my wife thinks I will burn the block down with flying embers

Comment

I've had two insurance policies canceled in the past due to my home located in a "high fire risk area".
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

The "rule of thumb" is 10 feet from any buildings or wooden deck, but check with your local building department.

Comment

Working...
                      X