Pizza Stone's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza Stone's?

hello everyone, im just starting the idea phase of scrapping this plan for that plan and oh that might work with this but what if i did this? im sure you know what i mean. my question is has anyone inlaid a PIZZA STONE into their oven floor? round or square, i was thinking the smooth surface would be better than grout lines? that way, i wouldnt have to store my pizza stone in the house, it'd be up and ready!!! thanks

Re: Pizza Stone's?

there is no need for a pizza stone in a brick oven. Pizza stones are made to try and emulate a brick ovens hearth in a home oven. Since you will have a brick oven's hearth you don't need anything to emulate it....

Comment

Several issues come in play - the size of available stones is limited, you would not have a very large cooking area. Not enough thermal mass, you would have to 'recharge' the stone, probably after each pizza and the stone would not retain enough heat for extended baking or roasting.
      You mention grout lines.....there are NO grout lines in the hearth bricks, they are butted together in a tight herringbone pattern. We have all proven there are no issues with 'smoothness', whether it be for pizza, bread, or sliding in large roasting pans.
      I suggest you download the FREE Pompeii oven plans in the FB store, along with this forum, you will have all the expert advice you need for building an oven.

RT

Comment

James sells bigger pieces for the floor of the kits. I really like the look of the herringbone floor. And I have never caught the peel on an edge. Not once. The floor of my oven is smooth a silk and looks cool.
        Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Stretch
          I wouldn't even think about putting pizza stones in the hearth of an oven, as RT says, you will lose the restricted thermal mass that the stone will hold (which is considerably cooler than the actual firebrick hearth of a well fired oven) but more is the point that with a stone(s) in the hearth, you then limit your workspace particularly if you intend using them.
          I find that when I have a group of 15-25 people over, they prepare and cook their own pizzas, (well, they need to experience the pleasure and it leaves me free to enjoy them rather than work my but off) and there are often 5 10-12" pizzas all over the hearth.
          I'm not too familiar with pizza stones but I doubt that they will not crack at the higher oven temps than a domestic oven, ie, cooking a pizza on a stone in 1 minute when compared to 4 to 5 minutes in a domestic oven, then having to reheat it to work properly. No just forget them mate for good once you have your WFO up and going.

Cheers.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I have a simple, traditional answer. Forget it!

Bricks are no problem. Uneven bricks aren't a real problem unless they are grossly uneven (and even then you will figure out how to live with it). Ash is not a problem. And grout is no a problem. Ideas that risk creating a real problem (like a stone that cracks) is a real problem!

The Pompeii design is the product of thousands of years of wood fired ovens. Almost anything you do to the design will degrade it!

Bake On!
            Jay

Comment

thank you everyone, i got the pdf and understand alot better about the flooring. thank you so much for preventing a huge mistake.

Comment

Working...
              X