This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FB Mortar

I am happy to say that we have made the product transition from Refmix to the new FB Mortar. FB Mortar is a true refractory, high temp, waterproof mortar that you can use to assemble modular pizza ovens, brick ovens and fireplaces. It has an additive that makes it sticky, which helps when assembling the Pompeii Oven. It is heat resistant to over 2000?F, and unlike Portland cement-based mortar, it can withstand the heat cycle of a pizza oven without becoming brittle and breaking apart.

It comes dry in a 50lb bag and costs $55. That's a lot less then before.

You can order it through the FB Store, or by call us on (800) 407-5119.

https://www.fornobravo.com/store/fb-mortar-50/

Wahoo!

Keep building.
    Last edited by admin; 12-17-2015, 04:40 PM. Reason: Updated hyperlink
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: FB Mortar

Hi James,,,
    Congratulations on your new product.... Have you considered making smaller bags for shipping in USPS flat rate boxes up tp 70 lbs..
    for a 12 x 12 x 5 /12 box cost anywhere in USA is 13.95.... How many pounds could you fit in that box,, and would it be cost effective... I know shipping is what stops me from buying a lot of things off ebay...

quote from UPS
    UPS Ground
    November 19, 2009 $ 60.28 USD*
    Days In Transit: 5 Billable Weight:
    50.0 lbs.

Just a thought
    Mark
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 11-12-2009, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Wow. I sure wish I had thought of that. We will look into it and get right back to you.

Way to go Mark.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

hope it helps... shipping on so many things is lways such a killer..... curious now to find out the answer

Mark

Comment

James, I used Heat Stop primarily because of the cost of Refmix. I wanted to support Forno Bravo because I wouldn't have been able to build an oven without the support of the forum and the e-book, but the shipping cost of Refmix made it unaffordable. I called the Heat Stop manufacturer to ask for their distributor in Utah, and he called me back later and offered to sell it to me direct. He charged me a delivered price. I agreed not to post the price he charged me, so I'm trying to figure out how to let you know that your price is competitive without violating my agreement with him. Let's just say that I probably would have bought the FB mortar if I had been able to pick it up from FB, but the cost of shipping might still have flipped the decision the other way.
          Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Hi Joe,

If you feel comfortable sending me a PM, I would not post it either. If you don't feel good about it, that's fine too.

We will be pouring FB Mortar into a plastic bag in the USPS box tomorrow and will find out how much it holds. :-)
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, I sent you a pm.

One option I would have considered was the kit. I wasn't aware of it until I was well into building my dome. I might have gone with that because the kit price is very good. Do you have an option for the floor to be brick? I know the big floor pieces are nice, but I really like the look of the herringbone floor. It's old school.
              Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Hey James,
                Just wondering if the USPS boxes worked out ??

Mark

Comment

I am using the mortar and it seems to have shrinkage cracks and does not get hard.How long till it gets hard and why the shrinkage cracks?I am going to use 3 cilica sand/1 fireclay and1 cement and lime for grouting joints/i am dry stacking the ring and putting the fire mortar in the big joints only.

Comment

I will be needing mortar shortly. Any updates on this with regard to shipping costs/solution and also the concern of the previous poster?

Comment

I'm needing mortar too!
                      So how much FB mortar fits in the USPS box?
                      The box is 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" (almost 1/2 cu. ft) and USPS charges $14.95 shipping in the US, no matter how much the box weighs. That could be almost 40# of portland cement, so I would hope at least 25 pounds of FB mortar.
                      Sounds pretty cost effective.
                      Jeff
                      My 42-inch build

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaIdiot View Post
                        So how much FB mortar fits in the USPS box?
                        The box is 12" x 12" x 5-1/2"
                        I'm guessing around 1/2 bag.
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

How much Refmix do I need for a 42" oven? Will 50 lbs be enough?

Comment

I used Heatstop 50. It comes in 50# bags and I used almost 4 bags for my 42".
                            Jeff
                            My 42-inch build

Comment

I used ordinary mason's mortar, the ready mixed stuff. My thinking was that I did not want any mortar to show on the inside of the dome, as I was concerned it might spall off under high heat.
                              I took a lot of effort to make sure my joins were fairly good so the interior dome face was more or less all firebrick.
                              Ok, so on the outside I had some gaps to fill so I used a mix of mortar and pumice but used as many small pieces of brick as I could, and as little mortar as I could.
                              Seems to have worked fine for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X