Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

small, light, gas heated stovetop oven possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small, light, gas heated stovetop oven possible?

I live in a large building without outside venting, but want to make pizza with a high temp (800-1000F) oven.

I noticed cast iron on my stove top is able to get as hot, and asked myself why not have a small, lightweight dome with say ~20" cooking surface that rests on 1-2 gas burners and is heated from the bottom.

Would Forno Bravo be willing to custom-make such a thing, or if not could I make one myself?

Small pizza oven

I used to think a lot about how to copy a brick oven using a standard range, oven or grill before I put in my first brick oven. I tried lining my oven with firebrick splits in various forms and shapes, I built domes in my gas grill, etc. I even read (did not do) that somebody disconnected the auto door latch on his oven so that he could cook on the self-clean cycle. Ouch.

There was a product in Australia designed for a grill that was a stone below, with some angled metal to bounce heat to the top of the pizza. I talked with them, but it didn't take off, and I don't think they make it any longer.

One thing I learned, and would highlight, is that high heat alone is not what makes a good pizza. A brick oven offers high heat on the floor and the dome, moisture from the refractory dome, moisture from putting the pizza on refractory floor, and convection from the fire.

In the end, I guess my conclusion is that the best thing I ever found was a high end (commercial) pizza stone in a hot oven (550F) preheated for at least an hour.

I think if I could come up with something better, I would build it and get rich.

Any good ideas out there?
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Electric refractory countertop pizza machine

One more thing. There are also countertop pizza cookers that are electric with a refractory floor.

http://www.g3ferrari.com/

I've never used one (I guess I should try). They are popular in Italy and sold in every houseware store and supermarket, but I don't know how easy they are to get in the states.

James
      Last edited by james; 07-27-2006, 01:02 PM.
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
      X