smaller oven or less insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smaller oven or less insulation?

Im so glad I found this site before I started. I need advice! I am constrained to only so much room for my build. I could build a 36 wide 28 deep oven (inside dimentions) and have only 1 inch between the outer oven wall and the cinder blocks that will encase the oven. Do I go with a smaller oven and more room for insulation or a larger oven with less insulation? I have no problem making smaller pizzas. Pizza is all im interested in doing and it will be a once in a great while thing. Probably count on one hand how many times Ill use it in a year, ok maybe more but definately will only need heat to make 4 or 5 pizzas at some backyard parties. I could also fill the cinder blocks around the oven with vermiculite. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Re: smaller oven or less insulation?

How about enclosing the oven in somthing thinner than cinderblocks. I used steel studs and concrete board...That would save you a few inches...
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I have seen alot of great looking ovens finished with different materials. My structure was a bbq island done in tan splitface cinders with tan mortar. I was trying to continue that up. I played with the idea of doing the steel studs and hardi-backer board and then cutting the cinder faces to make it like veneer stone. If My insulation is that important then that would be an option. If I could get away with the thinner insulation it would just save alot of work.

Comment

webowl
        You can always hollow out your blocks (remove the inner wall on the lower blocks where space is a problem) to allow for more room. I would also use the best (and probably the most expensive) blanket which will do the job.
        Don't underestimate how often you will use it because everything you cook in there will be better than you have experiences and your friends won't let it just sit there.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

hey webowl,,,,
          From your dimensions it sounds like your building a rectangular oven ??? For your planned use, I think you would be better off with a Pompei (round oven) you should go to the FB store and download the free plans.. Do you have a plan already ??
          A smaller round oven will heat and cook better and faster than a rectangular bread oven
          Check it out
          Mark

Comment

Thanks for the advice!!!! I think I will hollow out the blocks as much as I can and after reading alot on this forum I'll go with the pompeii with the shorter dome. I'm sure at some point I'll be asking more questions! Thanks again! Ill take some pics and let you know how its coming along

Comment

Working...
            X