Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height of oven floor

Hi,

I'm just starting out on a pompei oven. Can anyone give feedback on what is the ideal height for the floor. I was thinking around 40" (100cm) would be good but would like some advice.

thanks in advance

Re: Height of oven floor

Hi, I'm new, too, but here's my $0.02 after having an oven for about four months .... "it depends." It depends on the depth of your oven and your own height.

We made our hearth/floor about 44" -- thinking that not having to bend over much to see in would be good. And that's true, especially at night when my only light source is a geeky headband w/ LED lights; they shine right into the oven. HOWEVER, I'm only 5'4" and I had to really stand on my tip toes to teach into the back of the oven (39" diameter).

So, when we got a pallet of cobblestones for another project, I created a landing in front of the oven that provided about a 2" platform. That was very helpful -- but I still am wishing the hearth/floor were a bit lower.

All that is by way of saying that for me 40" or maybe even 39" would have been perfect. But if you are taller or your oven is bigger (or smaller), then "your mileage may differ."

Kathy

Comment

Hi nrobert,

The finished height of the cooking floor is of course a personal choice. The choice I made was to build the oven floor to the elevation of my "bent elbow". Sort of like tailoring a suit to fit your person! I am a bit taller that Kathy, so my oven floor at 43", fits me well, I like it that elevation (I'm about 6' and 1" tall)

For me, a good height to 'lean' on while chatting and drinking, etc. and works well to access the cooking floor.

It is a bit tall for some of our guests; however, I built the oven for me, and if we need a booster for other folks, we can do that also!

Another opinion..

JED

Comment

I'm under six feet, but my 43 inch height feels right to me. I designed the floor to be at eyeball height while seated in the patio dining chairs. Why? beats me, but it seems to work.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, it is all very informative. The oven will probably get used by a range of people with varying statures so I'm inclined to go with around 40" by what's been said so far.

nrobert

Comment

I am 6'0" and was issued a 5 ' 4" wife and built my oven at 43 inches. She says this is just right, she has cooked at other wood fired ovens and is of the opinion they are too low.
            Last edited by Neil2; 11-25-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Hello Neil2, thanks a lot for the comment. I'm in the same situation with the height difference so this gives me a good direction.

Comment

You can always raise the patio if it is too high ( a layer or platform of bricks for example), but if it is too low you are out of luck.

Comment

Working...
                X