HELP! Do I need to recure my oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Do I need to recure my oven?

Just replaced the floor in my oven, and need to know if i have to cure it. The firebrick got wet from cutting.

PLease help with any info, i'm supposed to cook a turkey in there

Re: HELP! Do I need to recure my oven?

ddchef,

I would Go For It!

The issue with water is that when it gets hot, it transitions from a liquid to a gas, and expands.. When it expands, you will run the risk of cracking a fire brick. OOops, so what, next week you can pull any cracked brick and replace with whole brick, or since it is on the floor, ignore any cracks...

To minimize this risk, I would start a slow fire in the oven - now, and keep it going as long as possible. The idea to drive the moisture out as slowly as possible. And then when the time is right, build the fire up to the big scary size to get the oven hot to cook the bird.

The other concern I would have is that the moisture in the masonry can cool the oven faster than normal. If you keep the fire in the oven longer than normal, I would think this will help to minimize this issue also.

Also, since you have only changed the floor, the rest of your oven dome will work normally, and provide heat for your cooking task.

Good luck, I think it will work out just fine for you...

JED

Comment

thanks for the reply

i'm going for it!!!!

Comment

ddchef,

If you can remember, go ahead and take a picture of the cooked bird! So we can see how you did...

JED

Comment

Working...
        X