Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to build something that will work both as a grill AND as an oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to build something that will work both as a grill AND as an oven?

I mainly want a grill, because the main thing I cook is a whole lamb or pig.
    However, your bread/pizza oven excitemnt has spread, making ME want one.
    So... Do you think it would be possible to build an oven which can also double as a grill? I guess you would have to have a removable section of the roof of the oven which has a grill underneath. Ideas? Help?

Re: Is it possible to build something that will work both as a grill AND as an oven?

Hey STSECC,

Sorry that we didn't respond to this.

A standard brick oven makes a great grill. You can slide a Tuscan grill inside the oven, and use both wood coals and the heat of the oven for great grilling.

We the weight of the oven, you wouldn't want to try to move/remove the top -- but no worry.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Is it possible to build something that will work both as a grill AND as an oven?

Originally posted by james View Post
      Hey STSECC,

Sorry that we didn't respond to this.

A standard brick oven makes a great grill. You can slide a Tuscan grill inside the oven, and use both wood coals and the heat of the oven for great grilling.

We the weight of the oven, you wouldn't want to try to move/remove the top -- but no worry.
      James
      Alright.
      But, how BIG would it have to be hold a whole pig?
      I think it would have to be so big that it might be either really expensive to build, or too large to heat for use as an oven.
      Does anyone know?

Comment

You want to grill a whole pig? I don't think I have ever heard of that - usually it's slow cooked. Interesting. The tuscan grill will work, you just might need three of them (they are approx 14 inches long).

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
          You want to grill a whole pig? I don't think I have ever heard of that - usually it's slow cooked. Interesting. The tuscan grill will work, you just might need three of them (they are approx 14 inches long).

Les...
          Yes. I would like to cook a whole pig.
          I would like to slow cook it.
          I am sure 3 tuscan grills will hold one.
          I am not sure an oven large enough to hold the pig will be feasable for pizza.
          Will it?

Comment

I think getting whole pig in and out of the oven using Tuscan grills would be a major logistical undertaking!

You would need to allow for a larger oven opening in your design.

When you say grill? do you mean:

direct grill over coals?
            or
            in-direct as you would use when slow cooking?

sorry - it's just not clear how you want to use the oven, since grilling & slow cooking are two different things...

the best idea would be to fabricate a rack to hold the pig.

mount the animal, and slide the whole thing inside the oven.

This has been done successfully before, I read about it just the other day on here.
            Last edited by Mitchamus; 12-01-2009, 08:51 PM.
            -------------------------------------------
            My 2nd Build:
            Is here

Comment

I used the term "grill" incorrectly.

Comment

So, can I make an Oven that will work also for slow cooking something as large as a pig?

Comment

A suckling pig - Yes

A full sized porker... well yes ....and also no

I think about 44" (internal diameter) is about the limit for a backyard oven.

Anything over that - you are into semi-commercial territory, and yes it can be done - but at great expense and running costs.

but if roasting whole pigs is really what you want to do, and pizza just as a side interest, you might want to consider a different type of oven, that would accommodate a whole pig better.

hope this helps.. cheers,
                  Mitch.
                  Last edited by Mitchamus; 12-01-2009, 09:29 PM.
                  My 2nd Build:
                  Is here

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post
                    but if roasting whole pigs is really what you want to do, and pizza just as a side interest, you might want to consider a different type of oven, that would accommodate a whole pig better.

hope this helps.. cheers,
                    Mitch.
                    That does help.
                    What type of oven is best for whole animals?
                    I have built what I would call a large rectangular grill out of bricks before. It worked pretty well but was open on the top so I had to cover it with a large piece of sheet metal. It was large enough for about 4 whole hogs. I don't need one that large anymore. It may not be feasable, but I was thinking that if I made it more oven like, and less grill like, I might not have to mess with the coals so much. It would not have to get up to pizza oven temperature, so I don't think it would have to be insulated as much. But, some amount of insulation might make it hold a temperature of say 225 F for a few hours off a pile of woods and coals burning inside. The heat would also be fairly even, so I would not need to use a rotisary. Another advantage is that it would keep the smoke in, for that smoker effect.

Ideas?
                    Pictures?
                    Can't be done?

Comment

seems like since pigs are roughly rectangular vs. circular, a barrel vault style oven might be a better use of space, although it would still need to be pretty big. How long is a whole pig? Four or five feet? If you could rig up some kind of interior rack system I think a very large barrel vault oven would work, but loading it might be another story.
                      The book "The Bread Builders" by Alan Scott has directions for building this style of oven. Basically the same set of materials just a different shape.
                      I've had great success with smoke roasting in my Pompeii. Just a matter of leaving a little active fire and a bit of air flow.
                      I guess I'd probably figure out some kind of permanent pit oven if roasting whole hogs were my thing.

Comment

I came across this photo of a barrel style that if built big enough should serve your purpose
                        John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

If you build a barrel vault
                          - make sure you ignore the thermal mass stuff in favor of insulation.
                          My 2nd Build:
                          Is here

Comment

The plan for my barrel vault is to use 1-5/8x4-1/2x9 firebrick on edge, backed with 1" of render on the vault and common brick at the base, and 4-8" of insulation (but with 2-1/4x4-1/2x9 firebrick for the floor).

Comment

Hi All!

Turkeys are good but whole pigs are yummy!... and you can easily fit a 25 to 30 pounder on a full size sheet pan (15x24) piece of cake getting it in and out. I've done it twice in a gas oven... can't wait to do it in my WFO! Fear not!!! just specify the weight with your butcher. You're gonna love it! make sure you stuff the belly w/ herbs , garlic, fennel, onions and oranges and tie it up!
                              Kat

My mouth is watering lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X