Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions Before actual oven constuction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions Before actual oven constuction.

OK I have tried 3 time to post this. Hope this one posts. Anyway I was wondering about insulating board for under the oven floor. I read somewhere that if the board get wet it tends to disintagrate. I thought about wrapping the board in aluminum foil to protect it from moisture. I am worried that the concrete stand will "sweat" and deteriorate the board causing the oven floor to fall. Any thought? Also is fireclay the correct mortar or should I use something else? Thanks.

Re: Questions Before actual oven constuction.

Spike,

Use the stuff they recommend in the Pompeii instructions. Work to keep the insulation dry, but don't worry about some water getting on the insulation. It won't have any movement that will make it fryable, or loosen it up at all. The only time it might get wet is during construction. After construction, the oven will keep it dry. And your curing fires will dry the insulation as you bring the oven on line...

JED

Comment

Yes, almost all refractory insulation boards are water resistant. Insblock19, which I used, certainly is.
      I thought about wrapping the board in aluminum foil to protect it from moisture.
      Aluminum foil is much more likely to deteriorate in the presence of caustic portland cement than your insulation board is with ambient moisture. Keep the foil in the kitchen drawer, is my advice.
      Also is fireclay the correct mortar or should I use something else?
      You can assemble your mortar with a mixture of fireclay and sand. It's been done but it is unconventional. For a discussion of mortars, follow this link.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Spike, your outdoor kitchen looks great. Keep the pictures coming as you build your WFO.

Tom
        Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Working...
        X