Builders sand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builders sand?

I did a search, but didn't find an answer. I need to purchase sand today for the homemade mortar. Will what they call builders sand work? Or what they call playground sand?

TIA,
    Tom
    Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Re: Builders sand?

Tom,
    brickie sand is what it is called down here. It is deep yellow to orange in colour and if it is moist/damp, it tends to sticks together in a ball when squeezed and is a little 'fattier' than concrete sand (which is like fine river washed sand), rather coarse and won't tend to stick together when squeezed wet.
    What we call playpit sand, is beach sand and I wouldn't use it.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks Neill,
      I called my local yard and they call it mortar sand, so that is what I picked up. It is fine and does seem sticky.
      I pick up the brick Monday along with the saw from HF and I will be set to begin. Except that is might snow Monday and then rain the rest of the week. Yes, snow in sunny Calif.

Tom

Comment

The mortar sand should be the ticket. Some brickyards call it masons sand or builders sand.
        As long as you tell them you are using it for mortar and not for concrete, a sandbox, or adding a beach to your backyard, a good brickyard shouldn't steer you wrong.

RT

Comment

Thanks RT, I asked for fine sand for mortar and they knew what I needed.

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X