Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 30% alumina firebrick -uk

Good morning all

Looking at which firebricks to use and have come across MEB Industries who are offering as they describe

"This is traditionally a house brick but it is made from low-grade fireclay. The brick is strong and is ideal for domestic projects including Pizza Ovens, BBQ, fire pits etc."

I've had a quote for 45p per brick plus vat which is way cheaper than standard firebrick. Also am I right in thinking the lower alumina content (normal firebricks at 35%) is more absorbent of heat, so a better choice?

Here's the link. although not sure if it will work:-
    MEB INDUSTRIES LTD - Serving the high temp industr

For info. had planned up until now to go for a vaulted oven, but now looking at bulilding the pompeii.

Regards

Jon
    Cardiff

Re: New 30% alumina firebrick -uk

Good spot,
    I'll be looking for firebricks in the new year, I'm in Scotland so would be interested in opinions on these also,

Kenny

Comment

Hello jota

Most interested in your post as I built my wood-oven in summer (09) out of reclaimed full wire-cut clays (pompeii-style). But since building it, word has gone around and many people have shown interest and have asked me If I could build one for them. Building a wood-oven for yourself out of reclaimed materials and building one for somebody else is a tottaly different concept.

I have searched the internet for fire-brick and have found one dealer in Bristol (no prices) Handsworth (no prices) and Vitcas.com......?2.00 each, so your find is well favourable (have tried to look at their webpages but only come up with blank pages?)

Having built a Pompeii-style brick pizza-oven once, I would'nt say that I built it wrong, but If I built a second one I would certainly use different methods in it's construction.

Best of luck in your project

Regards Terry C.F)

p.s I'm only 12 miles down the coast from you in that sleepy fishing village called Newport
      Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

I suggest you compare the mechanical properties of the bricks you suggest with those of the "normal" fire bricks:

"A refractory brick is built primarily to withstand high heat, but should also usually have a low thermal conductivity to save energy. Usually dense firebricks are used in applications with extreme mechanical, chemical, or thermal stresses, such as the inside of a wood-fired kiln or a furnace, which is subject to abrasion from wood, fluxing from ash or slag, and high temperatures. In other, less harsh situations, such as a natural gas fired kiln, more porous bricks are a better choice. They are weaker, but they are much lighter, easier to form, and insulate far better than dense bricks. In any case, firebricks should not spall under rapid temperature change, and their strength should hold up well during rapid temperature changes."

regards from Karl

Comment

Does anyone have any feedback on these bricks? Are they a good buy? I'm looking at other options that are twice the price so this would sure be a good find.

Comment

Originally posted by nrobert View Post
            Does anyone have any feedback on these bricks? Are they a good buy? I'm looking at other options that are twice the price so this would sure be a good find.
            nrobert

No feedback on the 30% afraid, but if you live in london have you tried ridgeons. Here's the link

Ridgeons Ltd - Timber and Builders Merchants - All your building needs from a name you can trust

Please let us Brits on the forum know of any new info that you may have also.

My homepage may also be of some interest to you. Click on my username and it takes you there.

Terry (C.F)

Comment

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the help. I just tried Ridgeons and they don't stock them anymore. All the other major DIY stores in my area B&Q etc don't seem to carry them. Victas Manufacturer of Vitcas Heat Resistant Plaster,Heatproof Screed,Black Fire Cement ,Heatproof Mortar,Fire Bricks,Mouldable Firebrick sells them and they are probably good but I was hoping to find a better price.

regards

Comment

nrobert

I spoke with Rigdeons last Friday 29 Jan and they told me any of their branches CAN get fire-brick, but need some notice. However when I spoke to them they said that their ipswich branch has a load in stock.

Apologies but I only managed to catch the first name of the person I spoke to....Steve.

Regards....Terry (C.F)
                Last edited by james; 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Terry,

Just called the Ridgeons Ipswich branch and they only have 38 left. From what I understand none of the branches stock fire bricks although they will order them for you with a minimum order quantity is 600pcs (not a lot of help). It looks like Victas might be the best option.

regards

Comment

nrobert

Sorry that the lead was'nt successful. I would appreciate it if you let me/us know where you eventually buy your materials from....and prices etc.

The biggest dissapointment with my build was, I did'nt take enough pics of the build. Everybody on this forum is always interested with a new build and its progress. It would be nice if you could share them with us.

Best of luck with the build

Terry (C.F)

Comment

Hi Terry,

Will let you know where I end up getting them. I'm not giving up on the company original recommended in this thread, just having trouble getting a quote out of them. It would be nice to get some feedback from someone who has actually bought bricks from them. The price, ?0.45 plus VAT, sounds almost to good to be true.

I'll try to take some pics.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by karl View Post
                        I suggest you compare the mechanical properties of the bricks you suggest with those of the "normal" fire bricks:

"A refractory brick is built primarily to withstand high heat, but should also usually have a low thermal conductivity to save energy. Usually dense firebricks are used in applications with extreme mechanical, chemical, or thermal stresses, such as the inside of a wood-fired kiln or a furnace, which is subject to abrasion from wood, fluxing from ash or slag, and high temperatures. In other, less harsh situations, such as a natural gas fired kiln, more porous bricks are a better choice. They are weaker, but they are much lighter, easier to form, and insulate far better than dense bricks. In any case, firebricks should not spall under rapid temperature change, and their strength should hold up well during rapid temperature changes."

regards from Karl
                        This quotation is fine for insulation bricks but totally wrong for WFO application.

Comment

Finally ended up ordering bricks and dry high heat mortar (?16.00 for 25kg bag) from Sheffield Refractories Ltd. Refractories Manufacturer and Supplier . They were very nice to work with and also gave me a better price than anywhere else. ?1.10 for new 230x114x76. The alumina content is %42 which is a little higher than I wanted but hopefully they will work.

I also tried intocast UK email, tj@intocast.co.uk, as well as the others mentioned in this thread, but the prices were not as good.
                          Last edited by nrobert; 02-17-2010, 06:40 AM.

Comment

nrobert:
                            Excellent.
                            Jhonny the oven man:
                            I don not really understand what you think is irrelevant in the quote? It explains how the properties in bricks differ depending on (primarily) density (Al/Si content).

Comment

Working...
                            X