Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

protection when installing ceramic blanket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protection when installing ceramic blanket?

Hi: is it true that the ceramic blanket for insulation can cause cancer?
    what kind of mask do you use when installing it for a good protection?
    do I have to use safety goggles?

Thank you!

Re: protection when installing ceramic blanket?

It depends on the type of fibre used. The water soluble fibre is safe, the older ceramic fibre unsafe. Try to find the MSDS (materials safety data sheet) on the product via the net.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Ramiro - When I pulled my blanket out of the box, I could see the dust floating everywhere. I didn't buy a hazmat suit, but I did wear a dust mask. Treat this stuff like you would with any insulation (think fiberglass). It would also be helpful to wear a long sleeve shirt. After wrestling with the stuff and wiring it down, I definitely noticed some of it had penetrated my arms.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les is definitely right. I currently have two layers on my oven, but plan on adding a third before I build a housing around it in the spring. After my experience with the first two, I'll be using a dust mask, long sleeve shirt, long pants, and gloves. I already wear glasses. I did get some itching and throat irritation just unpackaging it (FB blanket) before suiting up. That was enough for me :-) . The blanket itself is very easy to work with, though. Just suit up and put 'er on :-) . And use a cold shower afterward. Warm water opens your pores and lets the fibers in.

Pdiff

Comment

Pick a windy day and keep you head upwind

I acutally found it to be very dense and better to deal with than fiberglass batt, but I did wear protection. Just don't do it naked and you'll be fine.

Comment

Long sleeves didn't seem to help as much as I had hoped. The stuff itches. I used a respirator but can't imagine what it would have done to the lungs, considering how hard it was on covered skin.
            Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fairview WFO View Post
              :

Just don't do it naked and you'll be fine.
              Now you tell me!!

Comment

Gloves and a dust mask are all you need (and maybe the long sleeves). Carcinogens and harmful elements are unfortunately a part of our daily lives. I certainly agree with taking steps to avoid exposure, but your handling and exposure should be minimal. I used 2" Insulfrax and it laid pretty nicely over the dome so handling was minimal, mostly during cutting.
                I think the most harmful thing would be to disrupt the "weave" of the blanket and then over handle (shake, toss around), allowing the tiny fibers to become airborn.

Keeping your clothes on and not using it as a comforter on your bed are good ideas too.

RT

Comment

The newer and safer fibers are water soluble so if inhaled they don't cause problems in your lungs. Check the MSDS on the product you use to find out if it is the safe one. Vermiculite is a much safer alternative, but requires a thicker (about double) layer to achieve the equivalent insulation value.

Comment

Unpacking a small piece of 2 inch thick to be used to insulate my door did the same thing to me. Itchy stuff. I am glad it is sealed in now.
                    B-

Comment

I'm always amused when I hear about the health aspects of ceramic fiber. No human disease has ever been caoused by ceramic fiber! For more specific information on health aspects of ceramic fiber, go to Refractory Ceramic Fibers Coalition

Soluble fiber is properly called bio-soluble fiber - It is designed to dissolve in lung fluid. Ceramic fiber also dissolves in lung fluid (takes longer to dissolve). Asbestos does not disolve.

Both ceramic fiber and bio soluble fiber will work in insulating a pizza oven. I have used both. Wear long sleeves - both products itch! Review the specs and MSDS of both products and decide which product you are most comfortable with.

Please note- all firebrick, castable, mortar, etc contain crystalline silica. Crystalline silica is a carcinogen! - all pallets of brick, bags of castable, even play sand, list the warnings for crystalline silica. Wear the proper dust mask when cutting brick or working with dry mortars, castables, or cements.

Comment

Ceramic fibre should be treated with respect, it does cause irratation to bare skin and always wear a mask. The only time to really worry about it , is when the binders in the material burn out at temperatures over 1,000c. Beyond the limits that WFO's get to.

Comment

Thanks for the info jpar,
                          The Europeans consider the older fibre enough of a risk to categorize it as a Class 2 (whatever that means) carcinogen. That is sufficient doubt for me to avoid the material. I don't think it"s a laughing matter, I'm planning to live to 100.

Comment

My understanding was that the silica crystalline formation occured around 1110 C, which should mean that the dry unfired castable is safe to handle. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

David S,

The raw materials in castables, mortars, etc, have all been calcined at temperatures exceeding 1100 C. Firebrick have been fired at temperatures exceeding 1000 deg C in the manufacturing process.

Crystalline silica is also present naturally in sand - I have been told that the Egyptians building the pyramids suffered silicosis

Comment

Working...
                              X