Pool Crete vs. Mixing Vermiculite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool Crete vs. Mixing Vermiculite

Can i use pre-mixed bags of pool crete in stead of mixing my own vermiculite and portland cement?

Re: Pool Crete vs. Mixing Vermiculite

If pool crete is just perlite and Portland cement then yes, otherwise no. You want just perlite or vermiculite and portland without any other aggregates for maximum R value. If you have a large percentage of sand or other filler it will transfer the heat to fast. There are several threads here where people even want to limit the amount of Portand cement used to boost R value. I would stick with the recipe in the manual. It not hard to mix because the stuff is so light. If you have a mixer its a breeze, if you have to mix in a tub its still not that bad when compared to mixing concrete.

Comment

Too much mixing in a mixer tends to break down the volume (particularly perlite) The grains seem to abrade away. The trick is not to overdo the mixing.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The value of mixing your own vermiculite and portland cement is that you control the proportions and resulting R value. After reading through the many threads here regarding vermiculite-to-cement ratios, (from 5:1 through 11:1) I decided on an 8:1 ratio for a little bit higher insulation value and because the sides of my insulating layer would not be exposed. The 8:1 mix was easily mixed in a wheel barrow (gently!) like folding egg whites into waffle batter only on a larger scale. I placed 2" of Insboard 19 on top of 3 1'2" of vermicrete and the resulting compressive strength of the install turned out solid as ever.

Comment

Hi Guys, just jumping in with a question, Is perlite and vermiculite the same? I thought they were different. I thought perlite was like whitish pelllets and vermiculite was the stuff in pool bases. If they are different is one better then the other?
          thanks
          J

Comment

They are the same mineral, processed differently.

Comment

Vermiculite is a rock:

Perlite is a rock:

They both have the unusual property of popping like popcorn when heated.

They both work fine for oven insulation. Perlite has the advantage of never occurring near deposits of asbestos, although all vermiculite now sold in the US is "certified asbestos free"
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The perlite we get here tends to abrade with mixing more than vermiculite. It is a slightly better insualtor, ie it is slightly less dense,but the difference is marginal. I prefer to use vermiculite because it contains less dust than perlite, which I find irritating to inhale.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

"The trick is not to overdo the mixing."

I agree with David. Mix it gently by hand (shovel and wheelbarrow). Avoid using a mixer.

Comment

"Is perlite and vermiculite the same? "

Both will do the job equally well. Go for whichever is cheapest. (Try to get the coarse perlite if going with perlite)

Comment

PRODUCT NAME: Pool-Krete
                      GENERAL USE: To provide a firm, protective foundation for vinyl pool liners.
                      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: A blend of Portland cement, aggregates and additives to
                      enhance performance and workability.
                      ----------------------------
                      the aggregates are sand from what i have read , correct me if im wrong ,but that will not make a good insulator as it will transfer heat and that cancels out the vermiculite.

Comment

Working...
                      X