One small step for Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One small step for Pizza

Just to let everyone know, I have decided on the area where the pizza oven will go and even more importantally contracted to have the 60' tree that currently occupies that space to be removed.

Now I have to draw up the plans......they keep changing as long as they are in my head!

Re: One small step for Pizza

Sounds bold to me!
    You have to start somewhere. You'll be baking pizza before you know it!

dusty

Comment

Sounds good! I just brought down a 25 ft palm tree over the weekend where my oven will be located.
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Hi all

Just an update. As I stated at the start of this thread, I contracted to have a tree removed. Well it looks like phase 2 of the build is completed. I have been asked by a number of my friends and family what was phase 1? Well let me outline the phases of the build to you all. Any additions, corrections or general comments are welcomed:

1. Decide to build a outdoor pizza/bread oven
        2. Cut down tree and grind out the stump
        3. Develope the oven plans.
        a. Get contractual commitments from son and friends to provide labor for the following phases.
        4. Dig foundation
        5. Form up the foundation and pour concrete
        6. Build platform
        a. Buy more beer for son and friends in order to convince them to honor their commitments.7. Form up for the 4" thick hearth
        8. Pour hearth
        9. Form up for the perlite concrete
        a. Threaten son and friends with legal action to get them back to work10. Pour the perlite concrete
        11. Apply firebrick paste and Layout the floor brick
        12. Build the oven
        13. Apply oven insulation
        14. Apply perlite concrete over oven insulation
        15. Apply stucco over the oven perlite concrete
        16. Adopt a new son and get new friends17.
        17. Apply finishing touches to the base and oven.

Comment

That sounds about right. On to phase three!
          As for #17, you'll be amazed at how many friends you have when those pizzas start rolling out!

Great start.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
            That sounds about right. On to phase three!
            As for #17, you'll be amazed at how many friends you have when those pizzas start rolling out!

Great start.

dusty

I will add to this - toss 3a & 6a, buy the beer for yourself and build the thing. At the end of the day - it's the path of least resistance.

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Save the felled tree, don't discard it. Burn it next year.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
              Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Buy more beer!
                Jay

Comment

Hopefully that 60' tree you had to remove is a decent hardwood variety suitable for using as fuel-wood for your oven.

I am going the easier route, I am buying a ready-to-fire fully assembled commercial unit to be delivered, installed, and burning by June 1 of this year.

Comment

For all of you that suggested that I keep the tree, that was one option that I felt was not prudent. As a reminder, I get home only about every other weekend, and although my Optimism says I can get this thing build within 3-4 months after I start, I really think that it will take about 1 year from start to finish. And that does not include the time I would need to split and stack the wood.
                    However good thoughts from all.
                    Currently I hope to at least break ground for the foundation in about 3 weeks!
                    Got to convince my son to get his friends involved!!!

Comment

Ok I hit the first major stumbing block for my WFO build! My PRIME CONTRACTOR who was going to break ground for the foundation has decided to go sking that weekend!.
                      I am wondering if phase 16 needs to be moved up to phase 3?

Comment

Ok here is an update on my build.
                        I was home this past weekend and as I told everyone in the previous post, my Pime Subcontractor went sking this weekend. But what really hurt was the phone call I got from him Saturday morning and I quote "Hey Dad hows the digging comming along".

Well after laying everything out and I started digging for the foundation, my wife reminded me of a couple of very important facts:
                        1. Your to old and out of shape to be doing this by yourself.
                        2. You make enough money to hire someone to dig this out.

Although I disagreed with both of those statements, I decided to let someone less forturnate then myself earn some money and asked my lawn guy to dig out the foundation. So I am hoping the next time I get home I will be able to lay down some rock and reinforment and pour out the foundation.

And my Prime Subcontract better be ready!!!

Comment

Tell your wife (and yourself) it is great exercise. And save your money for beer.

Comment

Just got a call from one of my subcontractors (a real one) that I have used in the past on some of my construction projects. Long story short, he will be mobilizing for a project in the area, and he agreed to give me two bags of Cryolite. For everyones information Cryolite is a trade name a "special" perlite. This is "cracked" or "popped" in a special designed furnace that offers a final product that is about 50% larger then normal perlite but structurally as strong and stable as the normaly perlite. The advantage of this is that the thermal properities are about 20% better! This why I plan on doing perlite concrete rather then the insulation board.
                            Any comments?

Comment

That's great. Nevertheless, be real gentle mixing it with the portland and subsequently mixing it with water. The perlite I have worked with has disintegrated into dust with all but the absolute minimum of "working". I liked vermiculite better frankly. Seemed much more robust. I realize it has a lower insulative value, but it didn't virtually vaporize on me.

Good luck, be gentle with it.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                              Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Working...
                              X