One small step for Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One small step for Pizza

Just a few more photos. And I also posted a couple of photos in the thread lessons learned.

Comment

Although my last postings showed progress proceeding, I would be remiss if I didn't share some of the problems that didn't make it in the photos.

First of all during the building of the inner arch, I noticed that I wasn't going to meet in the center! I was offset by about 1". What had happened was the "left" arch was kicked slightly causing the bricks to angle to the front. What I did was to chisel out the setting for the first brick. This enabled me to adjust the whole arch section as a single unit. This got things back in align.

The Second problem was when I looked at the mortar on the arch, it appeared to be set fairly well, thus giving me the false sense of security and I removed one of the supports, which promply allowed that section of ach to fall down, which also prompted some justifiable critizisms from my Soncontractor.

Comment

And Dino, I know it is a little late but thanks a bunch for the sketches on the entry way and inner arch it helped me a lot. Now if I can only keep the inside of the oven as clean as you did during the building phase life would be better.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by gdest View Post
          ...I would be remiss if I didn't share some of the problems that didn't make it in the photos.
          And I would be remiss if I didn't admit that I giggled at your falling arch because the same thing happened to me . It's determining if you should spend more time building forms, finding the right stick and blocks to pile up under the arch or just hold it for an hour (never a good thing). And then you're tired bricking all day (a good thing!) you don't have time or energy to clean up.

Are you using heat-stop or refmix? It looks quite black but cleans up with a stiff plastic brush to tolerable levels. It is better to use a sponge right away. It will burn out clean eventually and the vent area will be black with soot most of the time so don't sweat it.

Your oven's got a nice view of your pool. It's gonna look great. -Dino
          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

There is only one thing worse then working on your oven in the hot Houston weather; and thats not working on your oven!
            Was in Chicago this past weekend, next weekend in New Oleans.
            How much does anyone want to bet that we I get home on the 26th it will be raining?

Comment

Well I was wrong. The weather this past weekend in Houston was sunny.
              I took a small break and checked the temperature on my outside thermometer. The dam thing was broken!
              It was reading 105 degrees! I know it was hotter then that!

Got the 5th chain completed and a little more of the entrance. It is slower going because of the angle and the time it takes each brick to set up. However it is exciting to see how the oven is taking shape.

All during this build and looking back at what has been done brings to mind what I have allways said about my abilities - "I have never made a mistake in my life....but I can't tell you how many things I would'nt do a 2nd time!"

Gary
              Last edited by gdest; 06-29-2010, 07:03 AM. Reason: Sign my name

Comment

Well hurricane Alex put a little crimp in the build. I came home early to work on the oven but lost all day Friday and most of the day Saturday. Sunday was able to work on it a couple of hours.
                Was brave enough to remove the form for the inner arch and it didn't fall down! What a joy.
                Completed the 5th chain and got some of the 6th chain completed.
                Here are some of the photos. They didn't come out to well, I think I sweated all over the lens!
                Damn its hot in Houston!

The 1st photo is my friend working on the 5th chain. The others show the work progressing on the 6th chain and the start of the entry arch.

Comment

I think I remember someone posting where I can purchase the blanket insulation for my oven here in the Houston area. Can someone tell me again where?

By the way as a little update, I am almost finished with the 6th chain. I am cutting the bricks into 3rds now and the fitup seems to be much better. I am hoping to work on it again this weekend with my son.

Comment

Well I am not being very vigilant in keeping up with my posts. The main reason being it is so friggin hot in Houston between cutting and pasting brick and cooking for my wife (thats what I have to do for being out of town) it just saps all my engery.

Another distraction happened also, my SONCONTRACTOR got engaged! Now you tell me if this didn't add to my distraction. I just hope I can finish the oven before he walks down the aisle!

Comment

Wedding pizza!

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                      Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

I have to apoligize to all for not being as diligent as the rest of you posting your pics of your builds, but to be honest, I do have an/many excuses:

1. It is so friggin hot and humid in Texas I don't have the energy to take the time to download the pic's

2. When I decided to do this build, I wanted it to be a father son project. When the project started my son did the following:
                        a. Went sking in Colorado on the weekends I was home
                        b. After ski season, took up fly fishing
                        c. After fishing he got engaged!

3. After looking at some you the builds out there I am a little intimated to publish my pic's and have them compared to yours.

For those of you who still can't wait to see my latest, I promise that I will post the next time I get home.

By the way, I am about 85% completed with the 7th chain and have 1 brick installed on the 8th chain,

Comment

Hey, no worries. We all need to take it easy during these hot months and take it slow.
                          After my curing fires were completed I put the external finishing touches aside and basically have been using the oven instead. Who knows, from this point I may take a year to finish it. It's funny how we operate at 110% for most of the build and towards the end we tend to slack off and operate at 10% our capacity.

George
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

WOW I thought is would be easier once I completed the project in Chicago and would be able to stay at home (The Woodlands, Tx) (Houston). Since I've been back, the temp has been in the upper 90's and 100's, and on the one weekend that was fairly nice, I made some progress but ran out of mortar!!!
                            I am hoping to make some good progress this weekend comming.

Comment

Its been a while since I posted anything here. I have some updated photos. I am still making SLOW progress on the dome. As you will all see I am going to be face with a lot of cleanup on the inside. I have also been able to set two of the bricks for the vent.

Got a question for you guys. Someone sent me this link for insulation. The pricing looks good and I am wondering if anyone has any opinion on this?

McGills Warehouse Online Department Store, Buy a lot, pay less

Comment

That ceramic blanket looks like the good stuff: 8lbs per sqft and up to 1832 deg F.

You're almost closed up, it's looking good, don't worry about it being messy. It's hard to clean as you go. It all cooks the same in the end.

-dino
                                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                                http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Working...
                                X