One small step for Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One small step for Pizza

Thanks Dino, you've been helpful. You can raise your status from helpful to EXTREMELY HELPFUL if you would just visit Houston for a day or two!

This past weekend WAS going to be very productive, but my wife had other plans for me. Not in a good way. Well there is always next weekend.

Comment

Ok I have a minute here. Time to post some of my lastest pics. These were from last weekend.
      As you can all see I am comming across the inner arch. What a pain!
      I will not be making any progress this weekend since my wife has decided to make me take some time off and take her off to the hill country this weekend.
      Well it looks like another one who will be banned from getting a pizza

Gary

Comment

I've been contacted by the Guiness Book of World Records!! I'm being listed as the slowest pizza oven builder.
        Trying to get across that arch is painfull as I said before. Well I'm still hoping to get this thing done before the end of the year.

Gary

Comment

Not a bad weekend. Just for those who don't know what I consider a weekend is, it is Saturday only. So with that said, I was able to finish the outer arch, and I am only about 1 or 2 bricks shy from crossing over the inner arch with the dome.
          This is not pretty! I just hope all the motar I use to do this cross over holds. I am envious of all of you who were able to do this much more elegantly, but it is getting done.
          I will be posting a couple of pics later.

Comment

I will be posting pic's tonight during MY WIFE'S favorite show...Dancing with the Stars! Gawd I hate that show!

Anyway I was finally able to cross over the inner arch. Looking down I don't have a perfect circle! I told a friend that its in the shape of a heart. This is due to all the love I've put into this build.

My friend on the other hand climbed up and took a look and stated that it was more in the shape of a lemon!

Gary

Comment

Ok as promised, here are the latest pics.
              I still think its shaped like a heart and not a lemon. What do you think?

As you can see I gave up on my indenspensible tool. As I said before, it has taken me so long to build this thing, it wasn't holding up....hence the shape. I don't think the beach ball will be of use after this chain either.

The biggest hurdle of crossing over the inner arch is done!!! I think I will be able to get it rounded up in the next two chains. Next weekend is an off weekend. Going to Pittsburgh to visit family and introduce the future daughter-in-law to the rest of the family.

Gary

Comment

Just can't get over looking at the arch! No excess mortar and it is self supporting too! What a vision.

Comment

Since moving back home the oven build has gotten worse not better! Two weedends in a row with no work. Two weeks ago was spent in Pgh for a mini vacation to interduce my son's bride to be to the extended family. Came back with a BAD HEAD COLD and didn't work on it this past weekend either!
                  I so envy all of you that have been able to keep focused on your builds more then I have been able to. Well there's always next weekend.

Gary

Comment

Gary,

Hang in there! I had multiple things come up which my oven has taken me now 5 years to get to this point. I made a decision a few weeks ago just to do one thing a day (except for Sunday's). You can check my post out in the pompeii section.

One of the things that held me up is the excessive heat in the summers down here. It kills the mortar (I used to train concrete guys and taught them how to compensate for temperature in decorative concrete overlays.) Fall and spring are really short - about 6 weeks, so I have got to move as when the overnight temps hit 40, cement does not cure properly.

Anyhow, keep your chin up and watch out for Murphy - looks like he visited once already!

Chris
                    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

This is really nice thread having very good discussions going on. I got really useful info from here. Thank you all from such a nice insight.

Comment

For all of you that have been following my buid, if you can remember the time line that I posted at the beginning of my build. I've just had to revise it a bit. Step number 16 is now ahead of step number 12.

This past weekend wasn't to bad. I'm closing in the dome, slowly but surly. It still isn't pretty over the inner arch, but I think it will be ok once I close this chain out. Again, I will post some new pic's later. I think after thanksgiving.

Gary

Comment

To all of you that are complaining about cracks/roundness and other minor imperfections on your oven builds, reminds me of a time a few years ago I was golfing with some clients.
                          As we approached the island hole after all of our tee shots, the 3 people I was golfing with were having a discussion. One was stating that he thought that the green was 85 yards out, the other was saying that he thought it was closed to 87 yards, and the 3rd had the strong notion that it was only 83 yards out.
                          I then walked up to them at told them that all three were getting me very pissed off! Here you are arguring about 4 or 5 yards and all I want to know is in which direction I have to hit my ball!!!

I say this as I look at my build (or lack of it) and all of its imperfections as tell all of you, don't sweat the small stuff.

Gary

Comment

Well all, it seems that I will be slowing up even more on my build. This past weekend I attended a meeting in Cairo and just got back. I am now taking an assignment in Saudi.....so that means back to working on the oven only when I come back on my R&R's.
                            I am so close to closing out the dome too! Hopfully I'll complete the dome before I leave and just finish the insulation and stucco when I come back.

Gary

Comment

Funny stuff and sadly most of it is true, haha. Have fun with you build.

Comment

Originally posted by gdest View Post
                                Well all, it seems that I will be slowing up even more on my build. This past weekend I attended a meeting in Cairo and just got back. I am now taking an assignment in Saudi.....so that means back to working on the oven only when I come back on my R&R's.
                                I am so close to closing out the dome too! Hopfully I'll complete the dome before I leave and just finish the insulation and stucco when I come back.

Gary
                                Gary, I just found your thread this morning and enjoyed every post. Your ventures serve to remind me that you and I have a lot in common: We're both human

Dreams keep us going in this life. You are fortunate to have a dream to keep your mind occupied in those hours, days and months in Saudi. I've been assigned overseas for months and years during my 27 years in the US Air Force, and those dreams of home helped me keep sane, even decide who I am and what I wanted to do when I got home. So, godspeed Gary!

P.S. your sketchups are invaluable as I plan ahead for my oven build. Do you have any more sketchups? If you do, start another thread and post them all there, they are a fabulous aid in visualizing what needs to be done.
                                Last edited by Lburou; 01-30-2011, 09:04 PM.
                                Lee B.
                                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                                X