One small step for Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One small step for Pizza

To all, thanks for the well wishes, but I do plan on keeping this thread alive, at least I can get the dome capped off and my curring fires started. I know I'm better at posting with my words and not so good with the photos, but I will have some shortly....I hope.

Gary

Comment

So Gary, when you come back for 'R&R' you'll be working away at the oven . Way to go. I loved every minute (mostly) of my build so I can imagine how hard it is to turn it into an occasional project. But, you are close. Your arch looks fine and if you close it up, you can let dry out well before curing it.

We expect you to make up for stretching out your build by studiously posting more pics of your progress .

Lot's of luck oversees, and l look forward to the 1st fires and 1st pizza pics, whenever that comes,

Cheers, Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

(Got to convince my son to get his friends involved!!!)

'He who will not work, let him not eat.'

Good luck with that one but you can try...

Comment

I came back for my 2nd R&R and had plans on working on my WFO. My first R&R was consumed for taxes. Well my 2nd R&R started out to be as unproductive as my 1st one.
          Everyone decided that we need to have a BBQ the 1st weekend back. So that took care of any work planned on the WFO for that weekend.
          I was able to start work on my masterpiece on Tuesday (I know but jetlag is a b***h.)
          What happened next was such a shock and disaster that it took a lot of wind out of my sales! The chain that I completed months earlier came down! The motar never set up correctly.
          I cleaned up all the brick and reinstalled them on Thursday. (Jet lag still setting in). Friday more family time and the weekend another party.
          Well got back to work on the following week and got it all bricked in (dome) and installed the chimmey!! Got washed up and flew back to Saudi Arabia.
          I have asked my son to get some curing fires going and hope to be able to insulate and stucco it before the time of my next R&R.
          I asked the wife to take some pics so I can post them for you all to see.
          I still think I should not only get an award for the slowest pizza oven build but one for being the most presistant

Gary

Comment

Well my son came over the house yesterday and cleaned out the inside of the oven and was going to start the 1st curing fire!!
            I again asked my wife to take some pic's of the oven so I can post them but after only 35 years of marrage I still can't tell her what to do!
            I still hope to be able to get some pic's to post soon.

Gary

Comment

I've been trying to post some photo's for the last couple of days without any sucess
              I just realized that the pic files are to large so NOW I will have to see/learn how to reduce the file size. Until then you guys got to believe me, curing fires have started!
              I hope to be able to have some wedding pizza when I get back in October.

Gary

Comment

Keep trying to post those pics Gary. We're all glad you got this far and want to enjoy it with you.
                Good luck, Dino
                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

My Oven Thread

Comment

You know Dino when I compare the pic's from my build to the pic's from your build it remindes me what I tell everyone about my construction experience. I am very truthful when I say that in my 30+ years in the industry I have never made a mistake, however I cannot tell you how many things I would never ever do a second time!

Comment

I just realized that the pic files are to large so NOW I will have to see/learn how to reduce the file size.
                    If you use windows, a small free program called irfanview has one button half-sizing of pictures.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks to Dmun I was able to download a windows program that enabled me to reduce the file size of my photo's so now I can post some.

These give you the outside view of the closed in oven.

Gary

Comment

Now here is a look at the brickwork from the inside. I looks pretty good if I do sayso myself. As far as the top dome, I just want to say that if anyone who has traveled 18 1/2 hours on a plane and is faced with brutal jet lag and whose wife is wondering why you are spending so much time with bricks after being away for 3 months, can do better, I challange you.

Gary

Comment

Now that I'm back in the KSA my son is now tasked with doing the rest. Here you see the 1st curing fire and the temporary door.

I hope that he will go ahead and insulate the oven and apply stucco. That way when I get back in October, we will have some pizza for the wedding!!

I hope to be able to start on some of the stone work sometime in March of next year.

Gary

P.S. does anyone remember how much insulation I need to buy for 4" of coverage on the 42" ID oven? I can't seem to find the instructions.

Gary

Comment

Your tenacity getting your oven ready for insulation is admirable! Glad to see you to this stage. It won't be long now for those pizzas!
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Well just to let everyone know, I am heading back to Houston for a quick R&R. Here is where I stand now:

The Oven is all bricked in and has had some curing fires. I think I will do a few once I get home to make sure.
                              My wife went out and purchase the insulation for the WFO. In addition a large tree died in the front yard and had to be cut down. This time the wood was saved!
                              Once I get home, I hope to be able to insulate and stucco it before everyone comes down for my son's wedding and we can all have some wedding pizza.

The other option is for me just to relax and drink a few bottles of wine and complain about Saudi Arabia.

I will let you all know which option was taken after the R&R.

Gary

Comment

I vote for "relax and drink a few bottles of wine"

We now save almost every limb of tree we trim for the wfo. When a bigger tree needs to come down, I no longer look at it as a chore but future "fuel" for a good time at the pizza oven.

Good luck on your wedding pizza event. Sounds like fun.

My Oven Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X