How much clearance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much clearance?

Hello oven builders, I have a general question: How much clearance should the oven chinmey be away from a structure (house) or trees?

I know the more clearance the better, but what do you think the minimum clearance should be?

I dont want to ask my City Inspector because he will probably say 100' and ask for permits. I dont plan on inviting him over to eat pizza anyways.

Thank you- Craig

Re: How much clearance?

Did you ever get any help with this? I have the same relationship with my building inspector as you. They mostly only like Round Table pizza anyway All the posts I can find refer to distance to structures. I have a redwood tree that will be fairly close to the side of my oven, but it is the only practical location to build. The tree certainly won't burn, but I don't want another reason to get in trouble. Please let me know if you figured it out!
    Thanks, Bruce

Comment

The last time and the only time I had an inspector on my property (about 15 years ago) he found a million code violations (mostly due to changes in coding since the house was built) which were completely unrelated to what he was there to inspect and give approval. It took me months to correct the items he noted and bring them up to code .

I am in L.A. as well and my oven will be located at least 20 feet away from the nearest structure so I'm pretty sure I'm safe there.....although I had to chop down a 25' palm tree a few weeks back to clear way for the oven foundation.
      Last edited by fxpose; 03-17-2010, 09:13 AM.
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Ask your local building inspection department.

My relationship with them is positive. They are there to protect you and yours. Building something that does not meet the code can mean serious liability issues if something goes wrong. You may be putting yourself in the position that your household fire insurance can be deemed void is the fire was caused by an unlicensed / non code structure.

Comment

LMFAO
          "They are there to protect you and yours." And you said it with such a straight face too!
          Bests,
          Wiley

Comment

Unless part of a larger project, aren't these WFO's generally unregulated, at least if you reside away from the high density cities? It looks like my county/city treats it as though it is just part of the yard.
            Bruce

Comment

"It looks like my county/city treats it as though it is just part of the yard."

Generally that is the case, and no permit will be needed. To protect yourself, however, I strongly urge anyone who is building an oven to stop by your local building department and describe what you are doing. Ask if you need a permit. If yes, get one. If no, document your meeting; make a memo of the date and time and the name of the person you talked to and their response.

Or. You can be one or those macho men who say "I don't need no stinking permit". The are the ones who, what a surprise, are constantly at odds with, and have problems with the building department.

In my experience, the municipal staff are always more than willing to help the homeowner who is seeking information.

Comment

Most places have their building code online, especially if you live in a bigger city.
                It's highly unlikely that you will find/get anything specific to WFO's. Outdoor fireplaces, maybe. Anyway, it's really just chimney that is a concern since the outside of the oven is insulated to the point that almost no heat is transfered. In lieu of finding the code online or calling r/t WFO, check the code for chimneys, (AFAIK, this varies depending on what type of chimney you have). Generally it's 10' horizontally from anything combustible and 3' or 4' above the roofline.

Comment

Neil I think I like you.

However, when you say things like you have in this thread the reader has to realize what country you live in and what country we live in. Next thing you will be saying is something like "When your kid is sick of course you take him to the doctor." Sheesh evrybody know you call all yo' relatives and git together an' pray. You think you takin' to some first world country with health care? We got no money fo' health care, but we make a mitey fine cluster bomb. Little bomblets look just like little shiny balls but don't let anyone try and tell you we are targeting children. I know plenty adults what play with tiny balls and they ain't even shiny! Oops! Sorry got off message there for a moment...

We have lots of problems in our country and not the least is a near non-functioning government...at many levels. Please just because you have a government that cares about its citizens do not assume that we have one too. Americans relationship with their government is more adversarial, at least for many, most, damn near all of us (choose which ever).

Bests,
                  Wiley
                  Last edited by Wiley; 03-17-2010, 10:59 PM.

Comment

This thread is in danger of veering WAY off topic. Remember we value civility at FB forums.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Neil, that is very sound advice. I will stop in and ask, anonymously if possible. In my case it is not machismo (I have obtained permits in the past), but rather a fear that there is no practical way to build if the department chooses to require a permit. I have established trees, redwood decking and a fence to deal with that are all technically combustible, and within 10 feet. The slope and size of the developed yard really only leave one practical location.

I don't really understand the 10 feet to combustibles. What about a fireplace/chimney in your house? I will ask when I talk to the department. Sadly there may be no one to talk to. Our county had to massively cut that department.

Comment

Originally posted by bruced View Post
                        I don't really understand the 10 feet to combustibles. What about a fireplace/chimney in your house?
                        You can build your oven right up against your house as long as the top of the chimney clears several feet above your roof, otherwise the oven must be at least 10 feet away from the nearest structure.
                        You can build it right next to your wooden deck, as documented in several build threads here.
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks. Good clarification. I guess since my deck contacts the house I was concerned it would be considered part of the structure.

Your Pizza & Cycling line is great. We were just debating how we could gain two pounds over an active weekend that included a five hour ride and a 90 minute run. I didn't drink THAT much beer...

Comment

Working...
                          X