Suggestions for a deck mounted brick oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a deck mounted brick oven

I have a small yard but a wood deck 12 x 24' 8' off of the ground and was wondering if anyone has made a brick oven that can be built on a deck structure. I can reinforce underneith but size and weight would still be a concern.

Re: Suggestions for a deck mounted brick oven

Hi Craig,
    your best bet is to go the more expensive way and buy one of the FB Primavera Series Beehive Ovens which sit on a slim steel base. Quick and easy to get up and going and better stil could be put on castors to move around and go with you when/if you move.
    On the other hand, reinforcing your deck, even building your base from the ground up and through the deck will add alot of extra costs and you don't have the same advantages.
    Decisions, decisions mate, life is full of them!

Cheers

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Yes, you don't want to build the Pompeii oven on any kind of wood structure. Brick ovens are heavy and brittle, and need masonry (or heavy structural steel) support.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Agree with dmun. The oven should be supported directly and isolated from the deck. Can you run piers down thru the deck to the ground and support it on those ?

Comment

I don't know about on or through the deck. It's 8' up. That's a long way for piers/supports and the weight of an oven. Can you build below the deck and vent the stack up and around the deck?

Comment

"Can you build below the deck and vent the stack up and around the deck?"

Your deck may be unusable when you fire your oven due to smoke. I view the stack as something that carries away the smoke/fumes after the oven is fired. During firing, a lot of smoke comes out the oven opening.

8 feet is doable with sonotube type piers.

Comment

I'm with Neil, the sonotube piers (reinforced with plenty of rebar) on a good footing should work fine and don't really require any extra skills. I would do I little research concerning your local soil conditions and frost line (not sure what that may be in R.I.) in order to get the footings right. Wouldn't hurt to know what the local code requirements are for footings as well...even if they don't apply to WFO construction in your area.

RT

Comment

If you go with a small oven you can put it on your deck without having to build the bomb shelter underneath.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Can you build below the deck and vent the stack up and around the deck?
                  That's a good idea, but keep in mind that the top of your chimney will have to be two feet above any structure within ten feet. I mention it because decks are usually immediately adjacent to houses.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Here are some pics of a deck oven solution. How do you like the mosaic of Positano?
                    Last edited by david s; 07-17-2010, 04:22 PM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Very cool, but would not fly in the US. Fire marshals would be all over it - see dmun's post. National fire code in the US requires the mentioned 2 ft. above any structure within 10 ft.

RT

Comment

Working...
                      X